✙ Chapter 18 ✙

Hey! Here's another chapter! You guys will either love or hate this chapter! ;)

- Lissa

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Two Weeks Later

"Remember, keep your arms raised," Temp chided, circling me. "Protect your face." As he wiped sweat from his forehead, I swung my leg out high in the air in a precise kickboxing move, which he deflected with ease. This time, I started circling him in hope of dizzying him and taking advantage of his unbalanced state by knocking him down. The day after running from the cabin, Temp offered to teach me self-defense, mainly to help take my mind off of things, which it did. Over the course of the last two weeks, I had learned his weaknesses. He had a major blind spot in his left eye, so he shoved his opponents to the right. He stepped before he punched, he wasn't a flexible person, and his pain tolerance was high, meaning in order to hurt him, I needed to strike one spot repeatedly on him, usually his rib-cage.

His fist flew towards my face and I ducked, instantly landing a punch to his rib-cage. He winced and gave me a haughty look, bouncing on his feet. Ripping the strength from my core, I lunged at him in a desperate attack, all of my punches delightfully accurate. He blocked a couple punches, but I had managed to land one to his abdomen, which clenched beneath my knuckles. With a groan, he staggered backwards and I grinned at him, cockily. "Ha, I'm faster than you."

He smirked. "Ha, I'm stronger than you."

"Are you sure about that?" I teased, dramatically placing a hand over my heart. "Remind me, who was tied to a chair?"

I realized my mistake when the humor vanished from his face and suddenly, he was springing towards me. I lifted my arms, covering my face with my hands and my torso with my scrawny arms. He didn't hold back; he swung at me with all he had, sneaking punches and low kicks to my knees. Sweat dripped from his pinched face and with each strike, he sucked in a deep breath. The adrenaline in my body was replaced with fear and when he nailed my side with his large hand, I released a painful wheeze. Before I knew what was happening, he moved closer, slipping his arm around my neck. Crap. Then, in a matter of seconds, I was on the ground, groaning.

Hovering near me, he shoved his fingers through his brown hair, tilting his head back. Swearing under my breath, I sat upright and glared at him, squinting against the sunlight. "Ow! What the hell, Temp? Just so you know, we're not supposed to kill each other." Wordlessly, he watched as I climbed to my feet, his eyes narrowed, but filled with guilt. With a hiss, I added, "I think my tailbone is bruised now, you asshole."

He tossed his hands in the air. "You pissed me off."

"Okay, I'm sorry," I apologized, sincerely. "But, still - you haven't taught me any of that Kung Fu stuff yet. It wasn't fair to pull something like that."

A grin hinted on his face. "You mean Judo?" I started stretching, helping with the pain in my lower back. When I didn't respond, only grunted when I reached down and touched my toes, he placed his hands on his hips. "It wasn't cool of you bringing up the past. I thought we discussed this, Blue. Everything that happened these last couple of months, didn't happen. We got involved in some dangerous shit and it's best if we just forget and move on. That's what we agreed to, or did I not hear you right?"

I straightened. "Okay, yes, you're right." He gave me a skeptical look and I exhaled loudly, glancing around our shafty apartment, which we wisely paid for with cash. "It's just - you've seen the news. The government is on the verge of starting a war and it's hard to pretend that we were never apart of that, Temp. It may be easy for you to shrug off, but it's not for me. I'm trying, I really am, but I can't stop thinking about the experiments a-and the cabin. . ."