✙ Chapter 3 ✙

Hey!

Sorry for the long wait! I've been very busy, you have no idea! Hope you enjoy this! Feel free to follow me on instagram: MelAchenbach ;)

Have a good day,

Lissa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How are the samples?" Amanda asked, sneaking up behind me in the laboratory. Startled, I jumped, nearly dropping the test tube in my hands. I cleared my throat and looked at her, grimacing at her smeared red lipstick, sweaty forehead, and wisps of hair in her face. While there was possibility she was hooking-up with one of her employees, which was a common rumor, it had been a long day. She was scurrying around, snapping orders, asking questions, and filling out paperwork. Behind her, Temp lingered, frowning at the scientists shoving past him. His eyes met mine and narrowed slightly; childishly, I casually flipped him off by scratching my forehead with my middle finger. I smirked when he noticed and Amanda looked between the two of us, impatiently. "Well, how are the samples?"

I shook my head. "Oh, sorry - they're coming fine."

"No problems?"

"None yet," I answered, positively. "But, I'm not the one studying the cells and trying to figure out the difference - I'm simply following the normal procedure of getting them ready." I exhaled loudly and placed the tube down, rubbing my covered hands together. "Jim over there is studying them underneath the microscope."

"Alright, I will need to speak with him," she responded, glancing over at him. I started becoming nervous when she remained standing in front of me, oblivious of a scowling Temp. He really needed to accept that I was a member of the team; I was going to continue on the assignments with him. When his eyebrows knitted together, I realized that he was trying to read my thoughts - too bad there weren't any interesting. Just a few about how frustrating the sample labeling was, how tired and hungry I was, and how his scowl made me feel uncomfortable. "Since you aren't too busy, Blue, how about you interview subject 106?"

"Ethen?"

"Our subject," she corrected, slowly. "We don't refer to them by their names - subject 110, subject 113, understand?"

"I understand," I muttered, robotically. Temp smirked, obviously pleased with the small scolding I had received. When Amanda clasped her hands together and pursed her lips, I realized that she was awaiting an answer. "Uh, why me? I mean, I already risked my life once by taking samples from him; there are plenty of other people who could ask him questions - and what questions?"

"Questions about his past - all prepared for you on this paper," she answered, before snapping her fingers. I flinched at the flicking of her manicured, red nails and watched as Temp slapped a clipboard into her hand. Unfazed, she extended the clipboard of questions towards me, raising an eyebrow. "I'm afraid he's requested you."

My stomach twisted inside of me. My throat tightened and for a moment, it became hard to breathe. I can't do this, I thought, eyes widening at the sight of the questions. While a part of me knew he wasn't going to harm me, it was scary knowing how dangerous he was. I enjoyed being in a safe, comfortable environment - being in that room with him was the complete opposite. Hearing my thoughts, Temp pinched his lips together and gave a slight nod, almost as if he was wishing me the best. I knew he didn't care about my well-being; he only cared about getting the subject to talk. Shakily, I took the clipboard of questions from her hand and skimmed them.