SEVEN

The next morning I walked down to the great hall with Hermione. She had already memorized the castle after reading Hogwarts; a History. I was glad to have a friend who knew her way around. We sat at the Gryffindor table near Harry and Ron. Professor McGonagall came around and handed everyone their time tables.

"What's your first class Harry?" I asked.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts." He responded.

"I have that first as well."

"So do I." Ron said while shoveling food into his mouth. After breakfast I walked with Harry and Ron to our class. We listened to the stuttering Quirrell. Something seemed odd about him but I couldn't put my finger on it. We had a small break before the next class. I had Transfiguration with Harry, Hermione, and Ron again. Hermione and I walked in early to see a tabby cat sitting on Professor McGonagall's desk.

"Morning Professor." I said and the cat bowed her head. I sat next to a surprised Hermione.

"How did you know?" Hermione asked.

"I'm an animanigus  and can usually tell when there are others around by the way the animal acts. Plus no professor and a random cat sitting on her desk. It adds up." She nodded at my theory and wrote something down. After everyone was sitting down I looked around and couldn't find Harry or Ron anywhere. Then they came running in, late.

"Glad the professor's not here. Maybe she won't find out." Then the car jumped and morphed into the Professor.

"That was bloody brilliant." Ron said.

"Thank you Weasley. Maybe I should transfigure one of you into a pocket watch, that away one of you may be on time. Sit." She firmly said. A hand raised from a Ravenclaw  girl.

"Yes Miss..."

"Hart. I was wondering, how did you become a cat?"

"Ah, you see Miss Hart, I am an Animanigus. Does anyone know what that is?" She asked. Hermione's hand shot in the air as I sheepishly raised mine slowly.

"Miss Lupin, go ahead." She smiled a bit. Remus probably let Dumbledore know about me being an Animanigus and he of course told the professor who had the same skill.

"An Animanigus is a witch or wizard who is able to transform into an animal. The animal is not chosen by the witch or wizard, but usually reflects their patronus. For example..." I stood up and went to the center of the room.

"My mum's patronus was a doe, and I happen to be a natural born Animanigus. My animal form is a doe. Do you mind if I?"

"Go ahead." And with that I transformed into my doe. I pranced around a little bit before returning to my human form.

"Thank you Delilah, you may sit."

"Yes ma'm." I said and sat down.

"That was amazing." Hermione whispered to me before focusing solely on Professor McGonagall. I couldn't believe that I just transformed in front of the whole class.