CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

THE GREY LADY had plenty of stories to share with Alice, most of them she had experienced during her time as a ghost at Hogwarts

THE GREY LADY had plenty of stories to share with Alice, most of them she had experienced during her time as a ghost at Hogwarts. Alice walked alongside her, curious as to what the Grey Lady's life had been before becoming a ghost, but she was sure the Grey Lady didn't share her true life story for reasons. Perhaps the time was just not right. However, as the two travelled along, Alice was suddenly distracted by the sound of distant singing. The Grey Lady continued to talk as if she didn't hear anything, leaving Alice to come to a full halt.

"There it is again," she said to herself, " I know that singing, it's not just inside my head."

Just as the Grey Lady was finishing up her story, she turned to look down at Alice, only to see that the girl had completely vanished from her side.

"Alice?"

But Alice was already travelling down another corridor, the tips of her fingers remaining in contact with the cold stone walls. She followed the singing and as it became clearer, the smile on her face widened. Just as she was about to round the corner, believing that she would be heading outside on the castle grounds, she crashed into another body.

Luckily, she managed to catch herself before falling and so did the other person.

"Whoa! Sorry, I- Alice!"

"George?" she quickly recognised one of the twins. "What are you doing here?"

He didn't answer right away, taking to look at his feet as if he was hesitant to answer. But a quick thought popped into her head and she wondered if her little theory was true.

"You can hear it, can't you?" Alice asked him. "You can hear the singing too!"

George scratched the back of his head. "Well, yeah, I can. I guess. But what does that mean?"

"It means you can hear it."

"Right, I got that part, Alice," he chuckled, "what I meant was, why can't anyone else hear it? It seems like it's just you and me. Fred and Lee couldn't hear it either earlier."

"I don't know," she shrugged. "But come on! We need to find where it's coming from. We just might in for a real treat."

George didn't have time to argue, even if he wanted to as Alice grabbed the sleeve of his robe and dragged him along. She was sure that the direction of the song was going to lead them outside and it seemed she was right. As soon as they stepped outside of the castle, the singing grew louder and clearer. Alice was becoming even more excited until she realised that she couldn't figure out the direction any longer now that they were out in the open.

"It sounds like it's coming from all directions now," she huffed, " now what?"

"Hold on," George said, motioning her to quiet down, " we just need to focus. Sometimes, it gets like this in the castle. When Fred and I are running from Filch, it's hard to figure out what corridor he's coming down. All we have to do is just focus for a moment. Close your eyes, it might help."