CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

ALICE WOULD BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT, she was never considered a strategic thinker, which was probably why she was so terrible at Wizard's Chess

ALICE WOULD BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT, she was never considered a strategic thinker, which was probably why she was so terrible at Wizard's Chess. She would probably be just as awful as regular chess. While George seemed to calculate his every move, it was almost as if he could predict Alice's next move. She had lost the majority of her pieces on the board and she was looking at a quick lose at the rate she was going. With a heavy sigh, she turned to Fred, looking for some guidance or perhaps a bit of a hint of what to do next.

"You're overthinking your moves," Fred told her from where he sat beside her. "And you keep second-guessing your moves before you even reach for a piece."

"But this entire game centres around strategy, right?"

"It does in some ways," George interjected, " but you're going to drive yourself mad if you keep overthinking the smallest of moves. You just need to use your own strengths. You see, you're thinking of stereotypical strategy, where you calculate each move and try to predict what your opponent is going to do as a result of your actions. But you have an advantage that could throw off your opponent."

"Which is what?"

"By not being strategic, it's a strategy in itself. If you act at random, you'll get your opponent off guard because they're going to be the ones who end up overthinking, trying to figure out what your plan is. That's what I've been doing all along. I've just been making you think that I have all my moves planned when in reality, it was all a farce."

Alice scratched the top of her head. "That does make sense, although I suppose no matter how I play it, I've never been good with any sort of games. Even when I played the Queen in croquet, I did horribly."

"Well, in your defence, Alice, "Mr Rabbit said, " that wasn't entirely your fault. Remember, the flamingos and hedgehogs were set to work against you."

Fred and George exchanged glances with one another quietly. "Flamingos and hedgehogs?"

"Oh yes!" Alice nodded with a bright smile. "I thought it was rather odd when I first played, but that's how they play in Wonderland. The flamingos serve as the mallets, while the hedgehogs serve as the ball.  It's really not that fun, for the players or for the equipment involved. I suppose the only one who has a good time is the Queen."

"I never understood why the Queen enjoyed the game so much," Cheshire said, " it was always so predictable. It always resulted in someone losing their head."

"That's exactly why she liked the game, Cheshire," Mr Rabbit told him, " that was her favourite part. It was a great stress reliever for her."

"This Queen of your world, the one you keep talking about," George interrupted, " is there any chance she can come over to this world? Just as all you did?"

"It's not impassable."

"Nor is it impossible," Alice added, " but I certainly hope she doesn't venture over here. That would be most unfortunate, she has such a nasty temper."

"I doubt she would travel alone here either," Mr Rabbit said, " if she has any say in the matter that is. She would probably have her cards with her, so she would have someone to order around."

"She brings playing cards with her?" Fred asked.

"They aren't ordinary playing cards, Fred,  although they may resemble them, " Alice explained. "Far from it. They are her servants who carry out all of her wishes and needs. Many of them do it out of complete fear so that they don't lose their own heads, which means they are willing to do anything."

"Well, I'm glad we're all having such a good time, discussing such cheerful topics, " Fred muttered, "a great way to spend the day."

"I suppose it's my fault for bringing it up," George said with a grin, " why don't you tell us about some of the nice things in Wonderland, Alice?"

"Where do I begin?" Alice said softly. "There were so many things about Wonderland that I love. Some were strange but nice in their own respects. I loved spending afternoons with the White Queen, trying to catch bread and butterflies. I could do that for hours. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum let me join in on their adventures in Tulgey Woods. It was lovely when they weren't arguing, of course. Oooh! And the rocking horse flies, I love them too!"

Alice went on and on about all of her pleasant experiences or as many as she could cover as she rambled on.

"I wish I could bring you to experience it for yourselves. I'm sure you two would absolutely adore your time there. And I think you would fit in with the Wonderland creatures quite nicely. Wouldn't you say so, Mr Rabbit?"

"Yes, I'm sure they would fit in very well."

"But you haven't lived until you experienced one of Hatter's tea parties," Alice said, " they're amazing! I'm sure you would be able to celebrate your unbirthdays-"

"Unbirthday?" George questioned. "What's that?"

"Well, you have one birthday each year, but you can celebrate your unbirthday every day until then."

"I like the way that sounds!" Fred exclaimed. "Count me in!"

Putting her falling out with Lennon behind her, Alice filled her time with those who wanted to be in her company, and attending her classes. That particular afternoon, she sat in the Herbology Greenhouse, listening as Professor Sprout reviewed the Aconite plant. Alice remembered it as a wild plant that grew beautiful blue petals but shared very toxic leaves. It was one of the plants that Professor Snape had covered in Potions as the flower was famously used in many potions such as wolfsbane.

However, Alice was struggling to keep focused as Professor Sprout spoke, too overtaken by her own daydreaming. Her eyes were almost glossed over as she stared off into the distance. She started to hum lightly, the tune of Golden Afternoon as the warm of the sun's rays poured onto her back. And yet, even through her own distracted mind, she stopped as soon as she heard someone humming along with her.

But the humming shortly ended after she stopped. Quickly, Alice glanced down at Mr Rabbit, who rested at her feet. She had hoped that it was him singing along with her but as she peered down, she could see that he was occupied with a stain on his coat.

Curious, Alice began humming again, and once more, she could hear someone else joining in. She stopped and immediately, she stood up from her seat causing the other students and Professor Sprout to look in her direction.

"Miss Liddell," Professor Sprout called out to her, " are you alright?"

Alice didn't answer as she looked for the source of the other hummer. Mr Rabbit was alerted and attempted to grab her attention but she walked away from him. All eyes were on her but she didn't seem to notice as the humming lured her along. But as soon as she came close, the singing stopped again.

Pulled out of the haze of it all, Alice frowned as she spun around in confusion. Her fellow peers were whispering amongst themselves, casting judgemental looks in her direction. Mr Rabbit jumped onto one of the tables and made his way to stand before her.

"Alice?"

"Don't you hear it," she asked him, " you hear it, don't you?"

"Hear what?"