CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

─── JUDGING BY THE EXCHANGED LOOKS between the two, it seemed Alice and Mrs Synergy were thinking the same thing

─── JUDGING BY THE EXCHANGED LOOKS between the two, it seemed Alice and Mrs Synergy were thinking the same thing. The discussion of other Wonderland creatures joining in on the fun, seemed all too convenient when there was a knock on the door. However, Alice and Mrs Synergy were complete opposites with their reactions. Alice was definitely channelling "the more, the merrier" while Mrs Synergy was hoping that Hatter would be the last of the visitors or her house was going to explode. In a motion, Mrs Synergy ushered the Wonderland creatures up the stairs as she went to answer the door, Alice trailed behind her to see who it was.

As soon as the door opened, Alice felt a panic flutter in her chest as she instantly recognised the black robes of the Ministry of Magic. Meeting his gaze, Alice saw Mr Barnaby, he ha been one to come to the house on numerous occasions to gain information about Wonderland. Especially when she first arrived back, he would spend hours questioning Alice, most of them Alice didn't understand enough to give him the answer he wanted. It would eventually lead to him becoming frustrated and accusing her of withholding information from him and the Ministry.

He believed Alice just wanted to keep Wonderland a secret for the wrong reasons, which led to many believing that Wonderland was a place full of dark magic.

"Mrs Synergy," Mr Barnaby greeted her as he tipped his hat before removing it. The two moved out of the way, allowing him inside, while the Wonderland creatures had made their way upstairs and out of sight. Alice followed motion by hiding in the kitchen and chewing on her nails, wondering what was about to happen.

Of course, it turned out to be where the two adults were heading as Mrs Synergy and Mr Barnaby entered the kitchen just moments later and spotted her.

"Hello, Alice," he said, although it didn't sound like he was genuinely happy to see her. Not that she was offended by it, the feeling was mutual.

"Hello, Mr Barnaby."

All the while she stood in the kitchen, Alice prayed that everyone upstairs would just keep quiet and not draw any attention to themselves that would call for an investigation.

"How have you been?" Mr Barnaby asked. "Enjoying your time at Hogwarts? Learning anything?"

"Of course she is learning something," Mrs Synergy spoke on her behalf, " Alice is a bright young lady and Hogwarts has excellent professors. It would be impossible for her not to learn something during her time there. To imply otherwise would just be insulting, Mr Barnaby."

Perhaps he didn't expect Mrs Synergy to speak out or maybe he wasn't anticipating the tone of annoyance that laced her voice. Either way, he quickly cleared his throat as if he was clearing the tension of the room. He muttered something under his breath along the lines of "of course, of course" before proceeding with the real reason as to why he was there in the first place.

"So, Alice," he began, " I've heard about another Wonderland creature arriving while you were away at school. He was identified as the Cheshire Cat, is that correct?"