12. Their hardship

Taylor stood upright at the speed of a bullet.

"What?" He yelled.

"My dad... had a heart attack. He drinks a little, at least he did when I left to come here. I'm not sure if it's gotten worse since."
Seth felt tears welling up in his eyes. He'd never had the most stable relationship with his parents and this was the first that he'd heard from them in a long time, but news like this after a day that started out so great caused Seth's stomach to tie up in knots. He could feel physical stomach pain.

"Come on, we need to go." Taylor grabbed his keys and jacket from his desk. With that, they both ran out of the room, running towards Taylor's dark blue Nissan.

***

"So he used to drink?" Taylor asked as they approached the hospital where Seth's father apparently was.

"Yeah."

"Do you really think it's gotten that bad?"

"I don't know." Seth admitted, "That phone call was the first that I've heard from my mom since I began attending the university."

His head filled with a mixture of emotions, shock, fear, sadness, uneasiness, and perhaps some others that he couldn't name or even recognise were there.
He suddenly jolted forwards as Taylor slammed his foot on the brake pedal. Looking up, Seth saw the large building where his dad was.

"Let's go." He fumbled with the door handle as he struggled to open it due to shaky hands.

At last, he finally opened the door and ran towards the front doors of the hospital, Taylor following close behind, his long legs allowing him to take longer strides.

At the front desk, Seth slammed his hands down, startling the receptionist.

"Please, I need to know where Mark Martins in."

"W-ward seven..." she seemed to check her computer screen, "room four. But I'll need to know your relationship with the patient before I let you through."

"I'm Seth Martins, his son."

The receptionist, once again, checked her computer.

"And you?" She asked Taylor, who responded honestly.

"We're not related. I'm mainly here for Seth. I've honestly never met the man." He admitted.

"I can't let you though."

"No please. He has to come with me!" Seth slipped his hand into Taylor's.

"I'm afraid I can't-"

"It's alright." A females voice came from behind them.
The boys turned to see a woman standing there. Dark rings surrounded her brown eyes and her black hair fell untidily to her shoulders.

"Mom..." Seth began, hugging the woman, who then noticed Taylor.
After a few seconds, she let go of Seth and turned her attention to the tall blonde. She held out a shaky hand to him.

"I'm Sarah Martins. Seth's mother. May I have your name?" She sounded sincerely professional. Sarah smiled, despite the streams of mascara that ran down her face. She had definitely been crying. And a lot.

"Taylor Boivin. I'm Seth's roommate." He shook Sarah's hand firmly.

"You can come along. Seth seems very keen on it." Sarah gave the receptionist a nod before leading the two boys away.

The further they got through the long, white hallway, the more the smell of medicine attacked Taylor's  nostrils. Seth didn't seem to notice. No wonder, he must be terrified, Taylor thought. Though Taylor found himself having flashbacks to when he had entered a hospital in hopes of referring himself to the paediatrics ward due to his metal health. A painful memory from when he was at the height of his anxiety, but even back then, he didn't take any action. He dealt with himself, by himself.