6. Phoebe's Apology

(A/N: This chapter is dedicated to DJayRolfe8 for sticking with me throughout a hard time in my life and being my wattpad buddy as well as one of the best friends I've ever had. )

It was Sunday afternoon. The room was silent as Seth and Taylor just sat on their beds, not moving.

Taylor had suggested that they didn't go out to spend time together that day, as they were both still concerned about the events of the day before.

"Are you alright?" Taylor asked Seth.

"That's the fifth time you've asked me that today," Seth smiled slightly. He was getting used to Taylors constant worry, but it made him wonder how Taylor really felt about all of this. Was he upset? Was he angry? Seth took in a deep breath and glanced over at Taylors face. No. He didn't look sad or angry, he looked genuinely concerned, "yes, I'm fine." Seth finally said.

"Took you a little while."

"I was just thinking. What happened yesterday was out of my control and I'm not even sure I remember exactly what happened," he sighed, resting his chin in his palm.

"I see. Well, that's why I suggested a psychiatrist, but you said you didn't want one."

"Yeah. I had honestly expected you to be a little more pushy about that," Seth stood up, walked over and sat beside Taylor, "you sounded so serious about it."

"I was serious, but forcing you to talk to somebody else when you don't want to... it won't help."

"You sound like you know from experience."

"I don't," Taylor sighed, "but I've heard. I just don't want you to feel any more uncomfortable." He wrapped his arm around Seths shoulders and smiled down at the smaller boy. Seth looked up and smiled back.

"I can trust you. You know what you're talking about Taylor."

"Yeah, I guess I do."

***

Seth awoke the next morning to the sound of his alarm going off. As he sat up, he realised that it was already Monday.

"Ugh! Crap!" He yelled into his pillow as he also realised that he had English Lit. class that day. English Lit. class with Mr Firch and the bitch that had laughed at him.

But, he knew he didn't have much of a choice. He pushed himself up out of bed and walked over to the wardrobe.

"You look terrible. Did you sleep okay?" Taylor asked from his desk on the other side of the room.

"No." Seth didn't even bother to turn around as he stared at the mirror on the inside of his closet door, brushing his black hair out of his face.

"Well, you'd better get yourself sorted out quickly," Taylor stood up and snatched up his bag from the floor beside his chair, "and one more thing."

"Yeah?" Seth turned to watch Taylor open the door.

"Text me if you need to. I'm willing to help, even if I'm in class," he smiled slightly and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Seth smiled as Taylor left the room. before turning back to his reflection. He looked okay in terms of his hair, the bags under his eyes were only small and all that was left was to get dressed. He decided on jeans, his favorite trainers, a stripy t-shirt and a button-up shirt on top of that. Seth made sure that everything was in his bag before slinging it over his shoulder and walking out of the room.

***

Already, as Seth took a seat in his classroom, he felt uncomfortable. Lilith had messages him and told him that she couldn't attend classes that day because she was sick. But to make it worse, the girl who had laughed at him had decided to sit right beside Seth.

This can't get any worse, Seth thought.

But apparently, it could.

"Hi," the girl leaned over and whispered to Seth.

"Uhm, hey," Seth said back.

"I need to tell you something," she muttered, avoiding eye contact,

"What?"

"I'm really sorry about what happened on Friday."

Seth wasn't sure whether or not to believe her. He didn't know her, he'd never made an attempt to speak to her before now and his first impressions of her were far from the best. How could he believe her?

"Sure. No problem," he lied.

"I hope you mean that. I've felt terrible about it ever since. I mean, I suddenly realised after you ran off that you could be going through anything. My laughing probably didn't help, whatever it was."

"Honestly, it didn't. But if you've realised, then I can't hold you accountable for anything," Seth smiled at her, now realising how pretty she was. She had dark skin, long brown hair and a very sweet smile.

"I'm Phoebe," she held out her hand. Seth and Phoebe exchanged a hand shake, before Seth decided to speak again.

"I'm Seth," he paused, realising that she must already know, given all the times Mr Firch yelled at him, "but you probably already knew that."

"I guessed it must be. Had Firchy been yelling at anyone else, why would you have responded like that?" She grinned, laughing slightly,

"Firchy?"

"Oh, inside joke. It's what my roommate calls him. She's in another class of his."

"Oh, I see."

There was silence between them before Phoebe decided to speak again.

"What other courses do you take?" She asked.

"Philosophy," Seth felt a little embarrassed to say it.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. It's as strange as it sound."

"That's not strange, it's pretty cool."

"Thanks, I guess."

Phoebe laughed a little.

"What?" Seth asked, concerned she was judging him.

"Well, you're just so quiet. I mean, you seem so introverted and shy."

"Oh."

"It's not a bad thing and I'd understand if there's a reason. You just, don't look the type."

"There isn't a type," Seth smiled, "anyone can be shy. Just like how people tell others that they do or don't look gay. There's no specific way you have to look."

"I know, right? I get so tired of people telling me that I don't look like the kind of person to be interested in literature, yet here I am."

"I know, it's so annoying!"

The two of them laughed together for a little while.

Once they had both calmed down and began to get on with taking notes and reading (like they were meant to in the first place), Seth pulled out his phone and began texting Taylor.

'From: Seth

All is well right now. I'm just laying low and not saying much, but my teacher keeps staring at me.'

He put his phone back inside his pocket and carried on, glad that he could clear things up with Phoebe and actually have a decent time in class.

Thanks Taylor, he thought to himself.