Chapter 11

I told Haley about Sawyer and avoided her questions on why didn't I want him to fall in love with me. I did it pretty well. Haley was too busy texting Eli and didn't even pay much attention to my topic change.

This morning she texted saying that she's about to go out and meet Eli.

'We are just friends,' Bullshit.

I grabbed my jacket and walked to Garrett's house. It was a short walk but I was already out of breath and my bones are screaming.

I stepped up to his porch and a lady; I assume its Mrs. Jones opened the door, "Hi?"

"Hi, Mrs. Jones, I'm looking for Garrett." I said politely. Mrs. Jones looked at me and smiled, "You must be Nichole."

"Yes," She invited me in and said, "Let me wake him up,"

She went upstairs and came down shortly, "He is coming down, can I get you something to drink?"

"Its fine, I don't want to bother you."

She cooed, "Aww, you are such a sweet girl. Garrett told me a lot about you. I'm glad you made friends with him."

I blushed and saved by Garrett himself. He is not wearing beanie today and now I know why he was wearing it. His hair is bald and he looked extremely tired and fragile. He sat beside me, collapsed on my lap, "What's up?"

"I am bored so I came to look for you. You said you like video games, I stole a few games from my brother and hope you can teach me!" I smiled when he groaned, "I'm tired."

"Yeah, I can see. Don't keep sleeping. Come on, let's play!"

xx

The both of us are so engrossed in our Mario Kart till Mrs. Jones called us for dinner. I checked the time. I've been hanging out with Garrett, updating him about my stuff and he told me about what he did during his free time.

We spend seven hours together! Seven!! I stretch myself and realized I've worn Garrett out. Mrs. Jones brought his dinner to him and smiled at me, "Do you want some?"

I waved it off, "No thank you, I've to go home. My parents will be worried. Thanks for having me."

"You're welcome, sweet heart. Thanks for hanging out with him." Mrs. Jones said, giving me a friendly hug. I looked at Garrett who was smiling at us and he said, "Let me send-"

"Sit back, have your dinner. I will come by soon. Good night," I kissed his forehead and left Garrett's house with a satisfied smile.

When I reached home, I saw two figures standing on the front porch. Niall is frowning and Sawyer is standing at a distance from him. Why is Sawyer here?

I hurried to them, "Why are you here?"

"Where have you been, Nichole Pierce? We've been calling your phone." Niall said. I cursed under my breath and said, "I left my phone in my room. I was at Garrett's."

Sawyer looked at me, his expression changed from worried to... jealous?

I pointed at Sawyer, "You haven't answered my question."

"I was looking for you," Sawyer said, "I waited and you didn't show up."

I groaned. I pushed Niall into the house and guided Sawyer to the side porch. He ruffled his hair when I turned to look at him, "What's up?"

"I realized I was a dickhead yesterday. I'm sorry. I really want to hang out with you but my work..."

"Yeah, I understand." I said bluntly. Actually I am glad he actually waited for me and almost got into a fight with Niall because he wants to make sure I'm okay.

He sighed, grabbing my hand, "Hang out with me?"

I thought for a while. I feel really drained right now and I have to eat my dinner before I take my medications. I shook my head, "Not today. I'm really tired."

He flashed a disappointed look and shrugged, "Next time then, see you in school?"

"See you in school." I smiled and he send me back to the house while I stood at the front porch, watching him drove away.

xx

I barged into Niall's room after dinner. Niall is wearing his headphone, watching videos on his Macbook. He raised his eyebrow and took it off when I folded my arms, "You are going to tell me what exactly happened between you and Sawyer."

Niall sighed, about to put his headphone back but I stopped and put his Mac away then sat on him, "Talk!"

He groaned, pushing me away gently and then carried me back to the bed and said, "Go ask him!"

"No, I want you to tell me!"

He threw his hands up out of frustration and said, "Fine! Wyatt was supposed to be the football's captain but after he pushed the place to me, he disappeared. He was coach's favourite and I was never a good player until Wyatt said I got the potential. He persuaded Coach to let me be the captain and coach underestimated me because I was just the guy who Wyatt lands his eyes on."

"Ever since then, I trained myself and tried to prove to coach. When he came back, I was going to return him the title but he rejected and said he wasn't interested. Nichole, as a guy, our ego is as huge as an elephant. It kind of brought me down a little, thinking that Wyatt is talented one and not me. He can just simply win a game, throw the prize away and said 'I'm done'. I'm the guy who needs to work for it and still have to work my butt off to prove myself."

I stared at my brother. This is all? About football? I can never understand what is in guys mind.

I sighed, "Niall, Sawyer's dad died from drug overdose. His mum went into depression after that, leaving him alone. He wasn't in school for the one year because he was focusing on getting his mum back. When he came back, he was different because he's alone and he have to work to support himself. You hate him because you are pissed that he left the team with you just because? That's so shallow,"

Niall looked really guilty after I explained to him. He pinched his nose bridge, "Now I feel like a major petty dickhead."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, dickhead. You are always the best, Nialler. Come on, you had the Master of Prank for one year! You got to be proud of that. Anyway, you play quite well in the field too. I think your coach is hard on you because he know you have the potential to do even better under pressure."

Niall chuckled, ruffling my hair, "When did you become Aunt Agony?"

"Since I found out life is unfair," I smiled and kissed his forehead, "Night Nialler."

I went back to my room and was drying my hair as I texted Sawyer: Niall told me about the 'conflict' you had with him. It's not even your fault. Thank you, Sawyer. Goodnight xoxo.

Sawyer replied back shortly: If I explained to him, he won't get it the wrong way. You're welcome, Nichole. Goodnight, sweet dreams xoxo

I brush my hair down and when I looked down on my sink, I almost puked my stomach out. A chunk of my hair dropped onto the basin. My hair is already short and now I looked almost bald with little hair. Am I going to be like Garrett soon?

I shuddered and I didn't sleep the whole night.