Juuzou sat up straighter and stared into my face. I felt his eyes on me even after I looked away.

**Juuzou's point of view*

I can't let this happen. I can't lose her too. I have to protect her, whatever happens.

"No." I said loudly. "No, I'm going to protect you. No matter what. You're not at your strongest. You're still getting better, even though you say you're fine."

I clenched my hands into fists.

"I would rather die protecting you, than have you get hurt or killed."

I'm not going to fail again at protecting the ones I care about...Not again. I won't lose another person because I screw up.

I saw tears begin to stream down Y/N's face.

"Y/N-chan. I... love you. And I'm going to do this no matter what you say. If that ghoul bothers you again, or any other ghoul, or any human for that matter, they'll be dealing with me."

I was surprised to find that tears were collecting in my eyes. I blinked hard.

I will protect her.

**

I couldn't seem to stop crying. Each tear that fell, Juuzou wiped away.

"I'm.. so scared. I a-almost wish the police hadn't told me. W-what if I'm alone when he comes back for me..I know he will..he's seeking revenge..I'm surprised he hasn't come back yet..He's probably waiting for the right time..I'm...I'm n-not ready to die..I feel like I just started living."

I lay down, my head in Juuzou's lap. He brushed my bangs out of my teary eyes and then continued stroking my hair.

"Let's go to bed Y/N-chan. I have a surprise for you tomorrow. At 8 a.m."

"What's this surprise?"

My curiosity was piqued.

**

A quick knock on the door came promptly at 8 a.m.

"I'll get it~" Juuzou called, running to the door.

He threw it open. A blonde woman with beautiful pale green eyes stood on the doormat.

"Y/N-chan, this is my colleague Mado Akira! Mado-chan, this is Y/N."

The woman extended a hand to me and I shook it, slightly confused. "Nice to meet you, Mado-san..."

I stepped back from the door, gesturing for her to come in.

"Y/N-chan, I asked Mado-chan for a favor. I asked her to help you with your self defense. Since you were always so worried about hurting me, I thought you'd be more comfortable with someone you don't know~"

"Juuzou...I don't want to hurt anyone-"

He interrupted, "Besides, this is just self defense, not fighting, so no one should be getting hurt."

I sighed. "Fine.."

I watched as his face spread into a grin. "I knew this would work! And if I wanted anyone to train you, besides me of course, it would be Mado-chan! She's super strong!"

He almost pushed us out the door.

"Go, go!" He was so excited it was as if someone had just bought him an entire donut store.

**

"So how was it?" Juuzou asked as soon as I got in the door from training with Akira.

"It went..pretty well actually. I feel a lot safer knowing these techniques. Obviously I still need more practice. But it helped. Thank you so much for setting that up Juuzou."

"We can practice together! I also have a present for you. Be right back~"

He dashed into the other room and came back with a long, thin, box.

"Open it!" He squealed as soon as he put it into my hands.

I grinned, his excitement rubbing off on me.

I took off the lid, revealing one of Juuzou's knives.

My head tilted in confusion.

"I got you a knife that you can actually use against ghouls!"

"So now you're missing one of yours..?"

"Nope!" He grinned.

"What..how did you pull that off? I thought only ghoul investigators could get quinques."

"That's right! I kind of...lied...and said I lost one of mine while fighting a ghoul...so I got a new one. But even if I was missing one, that would be okay! I use Jason more anyway in fights. My knives are just more convenient to carry around all the time~"

I shook my head, but a smile graced my lips. "Thank you Juuzou. This helps a lot."

I stepped towards him and kissed him before wrapping my arms around him and hugging him tightly.

"Thank you." I said again.