Chapter Three.

“A few years had gone and come around, we were sitting at our favourite spot in town and you looked at me, got down on one knee.

Take me back to the time when we walked down the aisle, our whole town came and our mamas cried; you said I do and I did too. Take me home where we met so many years before, we'll rock our babies on that very front porch. After all this time, you and I.”

“May are you coming?” Ty yelled up the stairs.

“Yeah, hold your horses!” I said sliding on a pair of yellow ballet flats to match the scarf around my neck which contrasted against the navy of my shirt and jeans. I grabbed my bag and fastened my watch around my wrist. Spritzing a bit of perfume onto my neck I checked that I had my wallet, phone and keys.  

Ty was taking me to a spot that we loved as kids; a restaurant called Silly’s around ten minutes from the beach. It was a forty minute drive to the heart of Portland, Maine and as kids our parents would take us when they were down there for business and we would get a huge milkshake and chips, then we’d drive down to the beach and eat lunch, play in the waves, have a good time.

I ran down the stairs of our house and slid down the banister, landing on my feet in front of Ty. “Ready!”

“Finally!” He exclaimed dramatically.

“Come on, I even found the old road mix we used to listen to.” I said holding up the old CD, covered in drawings and song names in permanent marker, though some were faded.

I could see Ty hiding a smile as he picked up the bags and loaded up the car; these had always been his favourite trips and although he may not admit it, he loved our cheesy music.

We buckled up and he put the CD into the player as I started up the car. ‘Life is a Highway’ began blearing through the speakers as our pack waved us off.

Ty had won back the pack two years ago and had resumed the role as alpha. Klaus and his pack stayed for a few weeks before they left for greener pastures. I know that the pack was shocked that we hadn’t mated yet but Ty and I had both agreed that we wanted to build our relationship first, maybe get married before having kids. I had always wanted to choose who I fell in love with and even if Ty hadn’t been my mate before he left, I would’ve dated him; mates be damned. It worked out well though and although sometimes it was hard for him not to mark or mate me; I knew that it would be that much more special when it did happen. Also neither of us was ready to have children and it was more than likely that he’d get me pregnant the first time we mated.

“Through all these cities and all these towns, it's in my blood and it's all around. I love you now like I loved you then, this is the road and these are the hands.” I sung obnoxiously to the music as I drove, Ty in the passenger seat.

He joined in as we whizzed down the highway and forty minutes later, we were pulling up in front of Silly’s.

 “Ice cream for breakfast?” Ty asked as we got out of the car to buy the food.

I shrugged and walked through the door when he held it open. “Why not?” The building itself was very quaint, three stories high with purple window sills. Inside it still hadn’t changed and had a warm homely feeling to it. We hadn’t been here for nine years and a smile lit up my face as we walked to the counter. It just bought back so many happy memories, before it all went downhill with Kent and Ian.

“Mary? Tyson?”

I looked up to see who was calling our names and came face to face with one of our old servers who was in her early twenties when we began coming here.