Chapter 36

“Um, can I help you with something?” I asked politely.

She slowly turned around with her face being hidden by her dark red hair. Suddenly she lunged at me, pushing me down in the process. I scrambled away her, gasping as I did. Her hoodie down, I saw her face, the face I had seen so many times before.

It was Sara.

Chapter 36

               She charged at me again using her claws as nails and hissing which exposed fangs. ‘This can’t be happening; Sara is dead’ my mind kept saying over and over again while my body avoided her attacks as much as possible.

               Her face was dark and her eyes were masked over with completely black pupils. What had happened to her?

               Sara lunged at me again, shoving me onto the floor. Weakened, I tried to sit up only to have her stand over me. She grabbed my necked and squeezed preventing any air intake. As I choked, I whispered “Sara! It’s Tara! Stop it!” I quickly realized my words meant nothing to her. She tightened her squeeze around my neck, with nothing even close to recognition passing over her face. She didn’t express any emotion at all.

               The cold reality of the situation hit me. Sara, my best friend since first grade, had no memory of who I was at all. And she was a vampire. Even if she was supposed to be dead or not, even though as a vampire she still is technically dead, this was still my friend. The thought had passed that this may not be her, but I knew Sara. This was definitely her.

               Struggling to free myself from her death grip, I grabbed onto her hands and forced them off me with my combined strength of werewolf and vampire. The sneer in her face as I pushed her away from me told me how she had underestimated my power. I smiled at this, while reading for her next move.

               She ran at me at full speed, but I was much quicker than her and easily avoided her attack. Even though she was against me, I still didn’t want to hurt her. There was still a small spark of hope that my friend was somewhere inside of this monster.

               “Sara! Listen to me; it’s Tara!” I yelled, to no effect. She just charged again, thus making me move away, evading her once more. Almost immediately she sprinted at me once more, and this time I didn’t react quickly enough, for after I dodged, I noticed a long trail of blood appear on my left arm. I growled at her, as if a warning, even though I wasn’t going to hurt her.

               The wound scabbed up as I did a back flip over my recliner, in another attempt of avoiding her. “Sara! Stop it!” I shouted to yet again no result. In fact, it just delayed my reaction at her next come at me so when I ran off, she managed to grab my arm and pull it. I shrieked in pain as my elbow was dislocated, pulling the two bones away from their joint.

               She let go of my arm and I gently pulled it close to my body, trying not to cause anymore pain. The hurt I felt was reflected in my eyes while hers were simply blank. Just as she was about to lunge at me once more, a golden blur ran through the door and pounced on top of her.

               It was Conner, I quickly realized. Happiness filled me up at the sight of him and I temporarily forgot my injury. For a moment, I just stood there in slight awe at the sight of his muscles rippling underneath his fur, reminding me of everything that had gone down the night before. I was pulled back into reality as my arm throbbed at one slight movement that I’d made.

               I needed to go and get backup I realized. The two of us, with me injured, could not take on a rouge vampire by ourselves. “Don’t hurt her!” I said before leaving Conner to wrestle down Sara.