Chapter 16

Tara’s POV

I reached La Push by dinnertime, having a lot to think about on the run over. Mostly about Conner. Was I really right to run? I wanted to stay there and be held by him so bad, yet at the same time, with everything going on here, it’s probably best I don’t have a relationship right now. But I was still really torn about my decision.

I reached the pack house, threw on some clothes, and walked in. “Tara.” Emily smiled. “The post office called. Something got faxed for you.”

The inheritance papers already? That was quick. “Hey Emily want to go into town with me?”

She thought about it for a moment, and then agreed. “Ok I guess the dishes can wait.”

“It’s not like they’re going to run away while we’re gone.” I joked.

She chuckled. “I would like to see that. Just let me grab my keys we’ll go in the old truck.”

25 minutes later, I hopped out of the old truck at the post office. Emily stayed in the truck. I walked in the post office.

“How may I help you?” asked Penny. Wait, Penny?!?!

“Penny! What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Well, college costs a lot, especially when you’re going to Harford so I’m working two part-time jobs for a year before going so I have enough for it.”

“Harford! You must be kidding me!”

She beamed. “That’s what everyone’s been saying. So, what do you need?”

“Oh, yeah, um my mom faxed me something.” She turned to a cabinet and pulled out something.

“Here you go.” She smiled.

I smiled back. “Once I have these filled out, I’m going to get my own house.”

“Oh that’s great! You’ll have to invite me over sometime. But what are they?”

“Inheritance papers. See, my dad died a couple years ago in a car crash, and since I’m 18 now, I get my share of the will. So I’m using the money to buy a house nearby.”

“Oh I’m sorry to hear about your dad, but good luck with the house!”

“Thanks, and I will invite you over sometime I promise.” I said. “Well, bye.”

“Bye.” She smiled.

I walked out of the office and back into Emily's old truck. “Next stop, the bank.” I said as she started up the engine. When we got, there we both got out and walked in to see two tellers. To my unpleasant surprise, one of them was the shaggy blonde from a week before at the diner named Brandon. I walked up to Christy instead.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him glance at me, but he looked away and started shuffling papers instead. Christy smiled. “How may I help you?”  She asked.

“I need help filling out these papers and the money transferred.”

“Ok. May I see the papers?” I handed them over. “Alright, looks like you have to read this, sign here, and sign here after reading this page.” I did what she did and handed them back to her.

“Ok and what account number would you like the money transferred to?” I told her my account number. “Ok, I will get these papers copied and have the money transferred.” She smiled, and walked in the back. I waited, and in a few minutes she came back. 

“All done. Here’s done, here’s your receipt of the deposit and your copy of the papers.” She smiled.

“Thank you.” I said, glaring at Brandon on the way out.

Next, we stopped at the real estate office. When we came out, I had a scheduled meeting with the owners tomorrow to discuss prices.

Since it was getting dark, we went back to the house. I strolled into the living room and flopped down on a chair while Emily went to the kitchen. “The dishes are gone!” She exclaimed, half-laughing.

“Really?” I laughed. 

“Yeah they just disappeared!” I saw Sam sneaking up behind her with a grin on his face. I bit my lip trying to keep quiet, while almost on the verge of laughing. Sam was holding an ice cube. I could only imagine where this was going. He did what I thought her would: put it down her back. She just froze and slowly turned around to face him. He was just laughing his head off. She didn’t look so amused. He put his arms around her waist.

“Oh, I’m sorry baby. I love you.” He said. She took a breath and smiled.

“Yeah right.” She grinned. “But I love you too, you big dope.” Sam leaned down, and I looked away. This was just a bit too mushy. I saw Leah out the window. She saw what was going out and put a finger in her mouth. I laughed at her disgust. She sulked off again. Then Seth came down the stairs, depressed as ever.  My heart felt for him.

“You miss her don’t you?” I said quietly.

“More than anything. It’s like your world being taken away from you.” He said with no emotion.  I looked away from him, wondering if Conner felt the same way when I left. Both times. “I appreciate what you’re doing for her though.” He said, bringing my attention back.

“Oh yeah. I really miss her too and it’s the only thing I can do to get her back. If this is what it takes I’m willing to go for it.”

He gave me a sad smile. “I hope it works out.”

“I’ll make it.” I said with scary determination.

The next day I went to the real estate office and worked out a price. I got them down to 185k. I explained why I wanted a big house (family) and how I recently got the money for it. Once we agreed, and shook hands, we got all the papers signed and did the money transferring. By the time I got to leave the office, the house was in my name. I stopped at the hardware store on my way to the house and had them make a spare key.

As I came out of the hardware store, I saw Alice; which was weird ‘cause she never walks around town. She just has no reason to most of the time. “Hey Alice!” I called. She smiled and came over by me.

I could tell her spirits were down, like everyone else around here. “I miss Mirabelle. I remember the day her parents died. She ran off in the woods and got attacked by a rouge vampire. He’s still around. Anyways, Sam and Seth found her and brought her to the hospital. That’s how her and Seth met, only a couple months ago. She lived with Sam after that. We knew she wasn’t supposed to be there, but none of us thought she would be gone that quickly. Don’t they have other orphans to take away? Just not, her.” She sighed.

I stayed solemn for a moment, taking in this information. If I was going to adopt her, I should know this stuff. “Well, why don’t you come with me to my new house?” I asked, trying to cheer her up.

She turned to me. “You have a house?”

“Yup. Just as of 20 min ago.” I said, dangling the keys.

“Ok. I want to see this place.” So we ran in the woods for a few minutes and came upon it. I used my new, shiny key and opened the door. She stood in awe for a minute, and then explored everywhere. I breathed the woody scent and smiled. My official new home. I wandered to the kitchen, and found they left me a dishwasher and oven. Otherwise, the whole house is bare. After Alice explored ever crook and cranny, she met me up in the living room.

“This place is so big and bare! You definitely need some furniture. I can just imagine it, all furnished and such.” She commented.

“Yeah I know. I’m renting a giant u-haul and getting everything tomorrow. Want to come?”

“Oh I’d love to! You know I’m the best decorator of all time.”

I laughed. “I’m sure you are Alice. How about we meet here at 9am.”

“Ok, I will see you here.” She smiled and walked out my door.

I really wanted to sleep in my new house, but since it was completely bare, I decided to go back to Sam’s house for the night.

**********************************************

COMMENT and VOTE  :)