Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Then, Conner’s stomach rumbled. “Are you hungry?” I laughed.

“Having you here is enough for me,” he answered, before it growled again. “Okay, maybe a little,” he admitted.

Reluctantly, I rose. Feeling Conner’s eyes on my exposed body, I stepped over the clothes on the floor and covered myself up with a bathrobe. Conner got up too and I couldn’t resist the urge to stare at his perfectly sculpted body as he threw on a simple pair of boxers. “Let’s go.” He smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we walked downstairs.

Soon, he was in the kitchen rummaging around in the fridge for food as I looked in the cupboards. Finding nothing particularly appetizing, I wrapped my arms around Conner from behind. “Want me to make you something?”

He closed the door, turned around and leaned down to give me smooches. “That. Would. Be. Great.” He whispered in between.

“Okay.” I smirked, giving one last kiss before looking to see what I could find. In the middle of preparing food, I heard voices and the front door open and shut.

Absentmindedly, Conner and I looked through the archway to see who it was, figuring out too late that it was the girls coming home. They took of their coats and shoes and we froze as they saw us.

“What the-” Rena trailed off. Mirabelle gave an odd squeak and Rena burst out “What were you two doing!? Why are you both half dressed!?” I did my best to stand in front of Conner but the fact he was only in boxers and that I wasn’t wearing anything under my robe was pretty well inferred between the girls. “I can’t believe you two!” Rena exclaimed. “So disgusting. Couldn’t you have been a little more discreet?”

I looked down, ashamed and embarrassed. “So, um how was your dates?” I asked, in a desperate attempt to change the subject.

“Seeing as we were picked up at the same time, we actually went on a double date. It went very well.” Rena said, narrowing her eyes at me. “I can tell you were busy in the meantime.”

Mirabelle, who hadn’t said a thing since seeing us and whose face was profusely red, silently backed to the stairs before dashing up them. She was just too innocent sometimes.

After she left, Rena gave us one last glare before going up to her room. I exhaled once she was gone and gave Conner a stricken look, he, in turn, gave me an amused one.

Once Conner’s stomach was satisfied, we tiptoed back up the stairs. I stopped at the doors to the each of the girl’s rooms, but heard nothing. Once back in our room, I took off my robe and threw on an oversized t-shirt to then crawl into bed with Conner.

Lying on his bare chest, I listened to the sound of our hearts beat in sync to a steady rhythm. He stroked my hair murmuring, “The girls will be fine. They’ve had a lot worse things happen to scar them.”

“I know. It’s just a little embarrassing that’s all.”

He snickered. “That’s true.”

We lied there in comfortable silence until falling asleep.

***********************************************

*Conner’s POV*

For breakfast, Tara made us omelets while also working on the laundry and tidying up the house. “So what are we doing today?” Rena asked, shoving another forkful of egg, cheese and ham into her mouth.

The events of last night, hadn’t been spoken of since and Mirabelle seemed to have recovered to her normal while Rena would send us the occasional suspicious look.