Chapter 14

*****************************

After a day of grasping the situation, and realizing exactly how I was going to get Mirabelle out of this mess, I realized I would need my own house. This meant I needed money. Lots of money. But first, I would need to find a place. I decided to worry about the money after I found a place.

I sighed and flopped down on the couch. “Alice do you know if there’s any houses for sale around here?” I asked.

She thought for a moment, and then replied. “I seriously don’t know. I really don’t pay attention. You could look in the paper though.”

“Ok.” I said, jumping up and heading into town. I bought the local paper, and sat down on a bench. I shivered as a cold winter blew over. It was definitely getting colder out.

I looked over every single house for sale in the area and nothing interested me. Either too small or too far away or too much of a fixer-upper. As I passed a garbage can, I threw the paper away. I remembered that I still hadn’t opened Leah’s present.

Maybe it was little past my birthday, but it still counted as a gift. I took it out of my back pocket and unwrapped it. Inside the box was a small, beaded keychain with a wooden wolf on it. Oh my gosh, it was so cute! I gazed at it with awe before smiling and putting it back in my pocket I would have to find her and thank her.

*3 days later*

I hadn’t seen Leah around lately, so I never did get the chance to thank her. I was patrolling alone in the forest and it was raining as usual. Then, I saw a wolf approaching. It was Leah. “What’s up Leah?” I thought to her.

“I came to tell you I found this big house with 30 acres for sale nearby. It’s pretty cheap too, since not many people move up here; 200k. 4 bedroom 3 bathroom.”

“Sounds perfect! I’ll go into the town real estate office and check it out. Can you take over this patrol?”

“Sure.”

“Oh, and thanks for the keychain. I love it.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah nothing big.”

I laughed and ran off towards town. There, I arranged a meeting to see the place with the owners later in the day. I stopped at the diner to get a bite to eat and to pick up my schedule while I waited. They came; an old lady and man, and I went out to greet them. “Hello, I’m Tara.”

“Nice to meet you Tara. I’m Mrs. Howard, and this is my husband.” Introduced the lady. “We can go in my car and see the property right away.” I nodded and in twenty minutes we were there. It was about 5 miles north of La Push and Forks. As we drove up the 3-story, log house loomed in through the trees.

“The 30 acres is all woods, and there’s no other building nearby or on the property.” Said Mr. Howard. The car stopped right outside of the garage attached to the house. We stepped out and walked inside. The house was empty and I got a tour of the house. You walked right in to the living room and the staircase would be right to your right. The kitchen, dining room and bathroom were on the opposite side of the room. When you go up the stairs, you find 3 bedrooms, a study, and a bathroom. Then you go up one more staircase right into the master bedroom with a bathroom. I loved it.

After the tour, we got back in the car and headed back to Forks. “so what did you think?” asked Mrs. Howard.

“I personally love it. I think it’s gorgeous.”

“We could sign on it now if you want.”

“I would, but I need to take out a loan first. I have a question though. Why are you selling it?”