#19 Swirls

.   .   .

"How could you enter Dhaami Buaa's meditation room without her permission?!" Aaron stormed in furiously, his bulged eyes solely on Maithli.

"And the answer to that was killing an innocent boy?" Maithli was slightly shocked by Aaron's reaction. His voice reverberated through her as she furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her face towards Aaron.

"His existence doesn't matter. What matters is that you are going to apologize to Dhaami Buaa, right away!"

"Doesn't matter?" Maithli cringed her face up in disbelief. "You can't be serious, Aaron!"

"I don't repeat myself twice. Now, you move and go apologize!"

"I won't! Why should I? I probably would have despite the fact that Shaurya was killed as a response to that. But with this sick attitude of yours, I definitely will not!"

Aaron inched closer to Maithli grabbing her wrists above, and shook her once, as he twisted his jaw. "You'll apologize, Maithli. And that's final." With that, Aaron threw Maithli slightly back and clanked the giant door, rattling the four guards standing by.

With welled up eyes, Maithli's breath grew heavy as she threw a twisted snarl his way. What had happened in an instance? He doesn't have the right to behave in this way with me.

Maithli glanced at her wrists, where redness had started to form. I should have worn my glass bangles today, Maithli soliloquized. Harshly.

.   .   .

"Maithli? It's fine. Listen, in Uthkarsh not even a single leaf moves without Dhaami Buaa's permission. It's not easy to budge anyone from being so defensive and protective about her, especially Aaron. He lost his family when he was only 4, Maithli. They were killed in front of him. It was Dhaami Buaa who brought him up and gave him the affection of a mother. A doting one even.." Meera was on the floor, her skirt spread around her with an angry Maithli resting her head on her lap.

She was so not going to let Aaron win at this. He simply had no right to behave the way he did. "I am only his mate, Meera Di; the only weakness somehow for the big powerful Alpha he is. The Bond is simply a curse for him which he tried to get rid of 3 years ago. If he had even the slightest trust in me, he wouldn't even have glued Dairaivv to me!" Maithli straightened herself then.

"Maithli, don't lie to yourself. You know he loves you."

"That was why I was kept in a torment for 3 years, away? Is that why I was so rudely mishandled today? How can you love someone and not care less to protect their self-respect? You had a mate too, right Di? A mate is supposed to know every single little thing happening to the other. Every little feeling, or pain. What does he know about me anyway? What I like, what I don't like?"

"Aaron is a contradiction. What he wants is commitment, demand loyalty, need love so desperately but fear the vulnerability it brings. I know it is difficult to be with someone who'll never trust you enough to let you all the way in, forever sitting on your doorstep. But that what brings the independence in a relationship."

Maithli was probably not listening and then Meera pronounced something she dithered to pronounce.

"You know that you don't mind these things as much as the fact that he- he got married."

Maithli put her eyes down there. Yes, that did pinch her a bit. A lot to be honest. But she would never have uttered it out loud, and not to Meera out of all the persons.

"Maithli I have seen him pin the years you weren't here. Do not underestimate his love."

"And what about mine? Do you think I had any rest? I doubt he even felt how hurt I had felt by that rejection. And that hurts a tad more." Maithli was not lamenting here. She just stated it, like a fact. Neutrally.