Chapter 7: My mate

I was brought to this dump on Friday. Spending the night on the hard floor was horrible. Believe me, there was not even ounce of fear in me, neither I was intimidated by the situation, but I was anxious. Scared for the tense situation at home. Horrified to even imagine a line of stress on my parent's forehead. I was dreading to even think about what they will be going through. A child, who has never been separated from her parents, was suddenly gone. All I could think about was my fear stricken mother. A question haunted me every second of my confinement.

What will dad and mom be doing at this very moment?

They will be worried. I couldn't even let them know that I was fine. I also felt sorry for Justin. His injured state was troubling me. That was how I saw him last. He went through all that just to protect me and look, where it got him.

I still got captured. He should have let me go. In that case at least he would have been fine.

It was almost dinnertime. I couldn't believe I was away from my family and I didn't even know what I did to deserve it. Since morning only Alex came to give me breakfast and lunch.

I didn't talk to him once but I could tell he was a nice guy. He didn't try to do anything horrible or take advantage due to my situation.

Not that I will let him. But still it was nice to know that he is not a total beast.

I was thinking about the recent events when suddenly the door opened.

Alex had a tray filled with food. He came near me and crouched down to put the tray on the floor. I stayed quiet as usual. He turned around to walk away but just halted in his steps as if something was troubling him. His whole demeanour screamed of uneasiness. I could read body language pretty well and I knew that very instant, that Alex was disturbed due to the trouble he has caused me. After few seconds of contemplating what to say, he whispered in a low but strong voice.

"I... I have kidnapped and tortured a lot of people. They are always scared of me or kept asking questions or the least beg me to let them go. You didn't do any of that. I admire your courage," he smiled while passing the remarks.

I jumped up to my feet and exhaled. "Well Mr Alex, first of all I'm not scared. If you are planning to torture me or kill me, begging will not stop you from doing that. Secondly, I don't blame you for anything, after all you are just following orders right," I glanced in his eyes while giving him the inquiring look. Something told me that he was just a puppet forced to carry out such vicious acts.

I could see he was amazed. He smiled while walking away. Just before locking the door he halted for a minute,

"I really am sorry Miss Smith, and I wish you luck, even though I feel luck is going to betray you in the most horrific way."

With the uneasy and awkward look, he rushed out of the room. I could see the guilt and the concern in his eyes. All I could do was feel sorry for him. I just wish I could make him feel a little better.

Wait ................

I was being sympathetic to my kidnapper. What the hell is wrong with you Anna Smith? Get your act right. These people here are not your friends.

I ate my hot and juicy steak. If I need to confront the animal that did this to me, I needed full energy.

Finally I was tired of not doing anything. It's true, just sitting in one place also makes you tired. So I lay down on the cold and hard rock floor. It was uncomfortable and the uneven surface was hurting my back. But as always I told myself, "Anna suck it and get on with it."

I was trying or most likely forcing myself to sleep when the door flew open.

This was it. Maybe my fate will be decided this very moment. I gulped the waters in my throat and sat up getting myself ready for what was coming.