Characters

How to create good characters!

1. Louis Tomlinson.

I understand that my darling Lou is a man child and he's funny and a two year old in a 21 year olds body, but....

He is also a 21 year old who drinks, smokes, has tattoos, and has to deal with all this celebrity stress. Louis is an adult. At least try to make him mature!

No way am I saying that you shouldn't embrace his childish side. I am saying that you shouldn't paint him as a 12 year old girl in your story. Make him just a little manly, because he is not twelve! And btw, he is capable of taking care of himself.

2. Larry Stylinson

Ok, so this is specifically for Larry fics.

Harry is younger than Louis. He is almost three years younger. Just because he's bigger size wise, doesn't mean he is the macho dude who protects Louis and cradles him and crap.

Let Louis also take care of Harry.

Seriously.

3. The main girl (BOYXGIRL)

I've come to realize that lots of heterosexual fanfiction isn't written as nicely as some boy x boy. Don't get me wrong, some het fics are amazing.

This is mainly because the the main girl, or the girl who ends up with one of the boys, is stupid. This is because the author of the fanfiction, although they deny it, tend to make the girl an alter ego of themselves.

Do not- make the girl exactly like you. Don't make her have all the personality traits as you, all the looks that you have.. No. That messes up your writing beyond belief and it makes it foolish. She can be a little bit like you, but she can't be you.

Do- make the girl interesting. Make her likable. Don't make her all quiet and annoying with no personality except for the fact that she loves a certain member of One Direction. Make her funny.

Do- give the girl a good background. How does she meet this member of 1D? If it's an AU, that's even better. Because it's very difficult to find a realistic way for a random girl to fall in love with a celebrity. But bottom line, give her a good, non cliché background.

4. Personalities.

Think of the boys' personalities. Harry is cheeky and makes corny jokes, and he's sweet. Louis is funny and sassy and athletic. Zayn is an artist and he's shy. Liam is protective and cute and he likes superheroes. Niall swears a lot, is cute, plays guitar, etc.

You can tweak their qualities as much as you need to for your plot, but make sure there's at least an inch of their real life personality in there somewhere. Don't completely lose their traits somewhere in your writing.

5. Perspective.

As an author, you have license to write from whatever P.O.V. you wish. However, I would certainly not recommend writing from first person. You can if you want, but it's not easy.

First person perspective means you need to note all of the main character's thoughts. Unless your first person is from an original character's perspective, it's hard.

Example- you know a lot about the boys' personalities and traits and distinguishing features... But you don't know their thinking style because you're not inside their head. That really makes it hard to write their feelings.

6. Carrot Jokes.

The moment you make a joke about Zayn carrying a mirror or Niall munching on Nandos is the moment I stop reading. Yes, they're funny, but they're old!! It ruins the quality of your writing.

The 2010 jokes don't make up the boys personalities, so personally I would refrain from using them.