Part 10 : Confession

I smile. After two hours of hardwork, it finally pays off. The royal blue walls of my bedroom, now seems livelier than they have ever been before. And why won't they, after all, the walls are now home for the many framed pictures of my baby girl, in some of the most beautiful outfits, clicked two days back.

I settle on my bed, admiring my daughter's photographs. She looks no less than a princess. Her biological parents were surely the most good looking pair to have reproduced an angel like Kiana. I do wish they were alive today, for Kiana. Because somewhere I do fear about the future, whether I'll be a good mother to Kiana or not, or whether she'll miss her biological parents despite being with me. I have heard, no matter what, biological parents are the real parents, who are impossible to replace with adoptive parents, even if they give their everything to the baby. Though, I now feel this statement isn't exactly true, still I have insecurities but I don't wish them to overpower me.

"Mumm," Kiana mumbles sleepily, tugging my shirt. She has woken up from her afternoon nap and now wants me to cradle her. I fulfill her wish and cradle her in my arms. She giggles lightly, then keeps her head on my shoulder and stay like that for some time.

When finally she gets over her sleepiness, she raises her head from my shoulder and looks at me. I smile at her. She smiles back her toothy smile, gazing at me with her doe like dark brown eyes, which somewhat seems similar to my brown eyes, something I'm very happy about. Even her blackish brown curls are very similar to my dark brown hair, her pink lips and her dimpled cheeks are just like mine, which makes her slightly resemble me. At least in a manner, we do look like a mother-daughter pair.

She places a watery kiss on my right cheek, something she loves to do when she's in a playful mood, that I've recently learnt. She pulls my cheeks, making her giggle and me as well.

These are the little moments, which makes it hard for me to believe that it's been just three weeks since Kiana has official become my daughter, a Vadehra now. Kiana's adoption procedure has been completed within three days of my arrival here. The police force had tried once more to find any suitable relative of Kiana's to keep her, but there was none, much for my relief.

Being in a gleeful mood, I start tickling Kiana, making her giggle even louder. Her giggles are no less than a soothing music to my ears. After the horrors of the human trafficking incident, it seemed slightly challenging to get back to my earlier life. Though, it actually is as now everyone know about that horrendous incident, thanks to the ever active media. But with Kiana's presence in my life, it seems easy like a cakewalk now. She's my calming factor, someone whose smile is enough to make me feel better and lighter.

"Gunnu, just one more morsel," I coax my daughter, feeding her chapatti with pulses. After playing for some time with me, she became hungry and I brought food to my room for feeding her.

She turns her face away, I think she's full now. But again, I put the morsel of chapatti in front of her mouth and she eats it in a uninterested manner, before turning her face in the direction opposite to me.

I keep the plate aside and make her drink water. She lies down on the bed, as if she has just completed a herculean task, and sighs. It makes her look even more adorable to me. Though she always look cute to me, her chubbiness is just admirable.

I chuckle, as she yawns and stretches her arms. But it doesn't seems to please her, as she frowns at me, before giving me a pout. I chuckle once more, then lie beside her. She climbs on to my stomach and lies there, pushing my arms to wrap her around. I do as she wishes and we both fall asleep soon after.

An hour or two later, I wake up to the buzzing sound of my phone. Kiana's still sleeping on my stomach, so I carefully pick my cellphone from the bedside table. Without seeing the caller ID, I receive the call as Kiana's sleep is getting disturbed.