Part Seven : Familiarity

"RITIKA!"

I shout, breathing heavily. The sight of a dying Ritika, still in front of eyes. My hand outstretched, for her to hold it. But I don't see her now nor the dark forest. Rather, I see only a white tin roof.

And then it hit me, I ain't in the forest. I'm actually in a temporary army quarter, the one made of bricks and tin. It's not a forest, but the army camp where I am currently, in a safer state. At least that's what I've been told.

I try to get up, my body aches like hell. Well, it can be blamed either. After being food deprived for eleven days, if I make myself run with the fastest pace I can manage for a distance I normally wouldn't even go for walks, surely my body's ought to show it's displeasure.

I sit up straight on the bed with much difficulty. Because of my tiredness and the emotional trauma, I feel slightly forgetful of all the events that took place yesterday. But I remember them quickly, when I see that Kiana's missing here. Where has she gone?

I remember well that when we came here, she was sitting on the bed and I had asked Major Ved for some milk for her. But after that, I fell asleep and now I don't know what happened after that.

"Kiana?" I say, peeping under the bed. Maybe, she got down from the bed when I fell asleep. But she isn't here.

I look around the quarter, but there's nothing else here apart from the foldable bed and a couple portable chairs. She can't hide here, and also can't turn invisible. She's a human baby, after all, not some supernatural creation.

I panic, as the fear of losing Kiana starts to dominate my mind. I can't lose my baby. I need to find her. But I don't know how. Maybe, I should first inform Colonel Sahil.

Hurriedly, I open the door and rush out of the quarter. It's no dark outside, it's morning now. A lot of soldiers are moving around, no one has noticed me yet.

Last night when I came here, I hadn't noticed that there are many such quarters like the one I'm residing in. I only notice that now. It seems very confusing to me, they all look exactly the same. I can't decide which way will lead me to Colonel Sahil's office.

"Ma'am, are you okay? Do you need anything?" I hear someone speak to me and turn to find Lieutenant Jay, the one who was ordered to find Ritika's body, standing opposite to me. He appears quite friendly to me than yesterday.

"Yes, my Kiana, s-she's not ... i-in the q-quarter." I almost choke with cries. I haven't realised but I'm almost sobbing now, and maybe that's made Lieutenant Jay's friendly expression to turn sympathetic.

"Ma'am, don't worry, she's here in this unit camp only. She's with Major Ved." Lieutenant Jay informs me, slight mischievous glint in his eyes, which I notice.

"Huh? Really?" I ask, just to confirm again. Though, Jay's words have already relaxed me.

"Yes, they are in the Officer's Mess. Come, I'll take you there." he offers and I nod my head.

We reach the Officer's Mess or rather Offr's Mess, as the sign board reads. From what I came to know, all the officers dine and have their drinks here only. It's more like a cafeteria, with just a sophisticated name.

"There, there's Major Ved, and your Kiana," Lieutenant Jay points towards a group of three men, who have occupied the sofas kept in this Mess.

There, with two other officers I met last night, sits Major Ved, with Kiana in his lap, who's continually giggling and playing with Major Ved's wrist watch. The two officer are speaking to Major Ved, who seems to be rebuking them with an annoyed glare, while the two are grinning.