Part 9 : Home

"Ms. Vadehra, we'll be leaving for the airport in one hour. Pack whatever you think you'll need for Kiana and yourself. I'll meet you both in CO Sir's office." says Major Ved, standing on the door of my quarter.

We're leaving for Delhi today. All the formalities are over now, and the remaining few, the ones for Kiana's adoption will be completed in Delhi only, after interacting with my family and inquiring about my financial status.

"Okay, Major," I reply. He nods and rushes away, as if, if he stays here for even a second more something might happen to him.

Seriously, I don't get what has suddenly gone wrong between us. Till the time I haven't talked to my family, everything was fine. But after talking to them, or more specifically, after Major Ved came to know about my engagement with Samay, he's been giving me a cold shoulder. He interacts with me only if there's any crucial new development in the racket case or if it's about Kiana's adoption procedure.

But even then he acts very formal, not even addressing me with my first name. Rather, he's sticking to 'Ma'am' or my surname. It's slightly disturbing for me, for at least he's someone I've been acquainted to at least at some phase of my life, unlike others whom I have never met before. Though that's different, that the last time I met Major Ved was when I was 13.

"Mum," Kiana calls me. I smile and walk up to her. She immediately stretches her arms for me. Well, she loves being in my arms; I love cradling her. My little angel. Nothing else matters to me, when my Kiana is with me, not even Major Ved's aloofness.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Ms. Anushi." says Col Bakshi, smiling for the first time. "With your fortitude and grit, you have not only saved yours and Kiana's but 100 more lives, which itself is commendable. We're glad people like you still exist in this world."

"Thank you, Colonel Bakshi. But I do think more than me, it's you and your unit, who should be applauded along with the Police force, for saving the girls and bursting the human trafficking racket. And also for keeping me safe here for last so many days. Thank you so much!" I say gratefully, smiling. It's true, if I am being praised for my bravery for running away from those inhumane vultures, then the army and police, too, deserves appreciation for the help they've provided me and all the other girls.

"Well, thank you, Ms. Vadehra. We'll always be glad to be of some help for our fellow citizens. Please feel free to contact us in future if you ever need any help." Colonel Sahil smiles. Then turning to Major Ved, he adds, "Major Ved, make sure Ms. Vadehra reaches her home safely. And while you're in Delhi, do check on Ms. Vadehra and Kiana, if they need any help from us or if any legal problem persists because of the case. Is that clear, Major Ved?"

"Yes, Sir!" Major Ved answers.

"Okay then, you guys should get going. The airport is almost 25 km away, you guy should start your journey now to reach on time." Colonel Sahil suggests, checking his wrist watch.

Major Ved nods and gestures me to move towards the army gypsy. I bid bye to everyone, Capt Sarthak and Capt Ritvik animatedly bid bye to Kiana, who waves her hands and speaks goodbye in her own language. Lt Jay turns slightly teary and whispers his goodbye to Kiana. Others too join in and give Kiana a heartfelt farewell; this little kid has made a place for herself in everyone's heart in this very short span of time.

After the farewell, we set off for the journey to the airport. The ride goes silently, with only Kiana cooing every now and then to attract my or Major Ved's attention or just playing with her own self. This at least lessens the awkwardness between me and Major Ved, or that's how I feel.

We reach the airport soon, where a Police team is already waiting for us. We get our boarding passes, after Major Ved clears the misconceived belief of the airport official about us being a couple and Kiana, our daughter. But nevertheless, the look on Major Ved's face when the airport official addressed Kiana and I as his family, was something worthwhile. It made my heart flutter, slightly.