Prologue

I run, as fast as I can manage. My vision is blurry, and my legs have started to tremble. The sound of the gunshots and screams ringing in my ears, the horrifying scene still shaking me.

Yet, I have to run. Not for myself, but for the child, who is clutching me with the firmest hold possible. Her cries haven't stopped, and why would it? Though just one-year-old, she can feel the danger that's lurking around us, as well. And the way to get us out of it, is by continuing to run in this dark forest, without halting even with the group of twenty men chasing us!

"STOP! OR WE'LL SHOOT YOU!"

Despite hearing the warning, my legs don't stop moving. A gripping fear engulfs my heart. Have those people managed to catch me again? What will I do now?
I can't stop running, it's my only chance of saving the child's and my life.

"STOP RIGHT NOW! OR BE READY TO FACE THE DIRE CONSEQUENCES!"

One more warning, yet I don't halt. I continue my run, much faster than before. Not only my speed, but my baby's cries are louder as well. She's frightened, and digs her nails in my shoulder, which she's been clinging for so long. She doesn't wish to let go of me, and I won't leave her either.

Barefoot, I'm now in the deepest part of forest and my feet have begun to bleed. My body wants to stop and I slow down. Certainly, boycotting food for last 11 days is now taking its toll on me. But just then I hear the sound of footsteps, and turn back to find the same group of men almost behind me, rifles targeting me.

I increase my pace and try to change the direction of my escape, but everything seems same in this part of the forest with only darkness prevailing in every corner. Where should I go now?

Suddenly, I hear a distinct sound just a few centimetres away from me. It seemed like a popping sound or maybe cracking. Well, I never have heard or seen live firing, so I can't be sure.

My ears again hear the same sound, someone has fired, and has missed their aim. I was the aim! My body freezes this time, not following my order to keep moving. Instead, it keeps becoming rigid with the sound of continual firing. I can't move!

"STOP FIRING! THERE'S A CHILD! DON'T FIRE!"

A child; the child I'm carrying in my arms! I seem to have forgotten about her, my tactile and auditory senses haven't felt or heard the voice of the child, whose cries are at their loudest.

And her cries are the only source of noise. The firing has stopped, because of her cries. The men aren't chasing us, they have come to absolute standstill. No one's moving, but why?

A question pops in my head. The goons know I have a child with me, then why did the voice sound surprised when they heard the cries of the child in my arms? Are these men not goons? I can't decide without getting an answer of my mind's posed question.

But knowing it's my last chance to escape, I again resume my run, slowly then getting to my initial pace. But instead, I collide with something, a man to be specific. And I again freeze on my spot, hearing what he wants to say.

"Don't look for escapes, you'll be dead in no time, otherwise."

Much against my will, I obey his order, only to realise later that it'll only save my life.

A/N: Hey, do leave your feedbacks and please vote! :)