The Seahorse

The Meaning of Seahorse TattoosPatience and TranquilityProtectionFriendship and CooperationPersistenceCreativity and MeditationFatherhood

Tribal Seahorse Tattoos

To draw the spiritual energy of an animal into your being, tribe elders and the tribe's shaman often tattoo themselves and the members of their tribe with its image. As with all tribal patterns, each mark has a specific meaning that is usually used to represent daily life, evoke the help of long deceased ancestors, or to thank the gods for their gifts of mercy. Tribal Seahorse Tattoos are great for showing the world that you identify closely with a region's native culture and that, like the seahorse, you can weather life's difficult currents and protect those closest to you in order to evolve into something magnificent.

(Taken from itattoodesigns.com)

Seahorse was given the name by the Greeks and was called Hippocampus, which stands for horse and sea monster. Coincidentally, the part of the human brain, which is associated with memory is also known as hippocampus. Perhaps, this is the reason this creature is associated with creativity. The monster aspect comes from its bony armor. This sea animal has a head, that has obvious equine features. The seahorse has two eyes, which are able to look in different directions simultaneously. Therefore, it is said to be a symbol of vigilance. In a number of cultures, grace and confidence is the other symbolism of this design. It is also a symbol of strength, guidance, and transformation. The Celts look at seahorse as a symbol of courage and forbearance at sea. It is also a symbol of good luck for sailors. In some civilizations, the seahorse was revered as a therapeutic animal, that has magical and mystical powers.

You will be amazed to know, that seahorses are said to be a symbol of fatherhood, because it is the male of the species, which becomes pregnant. Female seahorse deposits her eggs in the pouch on the tail of a male. The eggs gestate in the pouch for about 6 weeks.
Seahorse Tattoo Designs

Kissing Seahorse Tattoo

Kissing seahorse tattoo is two seahorses melding together into a shape of a heart. Seahorse which is considered to be a good luck charm can be considered prosperous for a long-lasting relationship. This symbol can also be worn to signify sharing.

Tribal Seahorse Tattoo

Tribal seahorse tattoos mainly signify patience, strength, and endurance. Tattoos of this kind include tribal elements used for embellishing the seahorse design.
Monochrome Seahorse Tattoo

Monochrome tattoos are a good option for those who like less colorful tattos and desire to have a tiny design. Although having a single color, they happen to a very intricate design. These tattoos may indicate stubbornness or non-flexibility to change.
Multicolored Seahorse Tattoo

Multicolored seahorse tattoos have a brilliant combination of primary colors mainly, blue and green. However, some like the usage of more colors such as orange, brown, or red. They indicate adjustment with the surroundings.
Seahorse Badge Tattoo

Seahorse tattoos in the form of a oval or circle-shaped badge can be a great tattoo to sport below the thumb. It can be used to depict ones perspective in life or can be sported as a symbol or protection.
Stippled Seahorse Tattoo

Stippled seahorse tattoo is made up of a seahorse design consisting of bubbles. It is used to depict the fact that seahorse is a sea creature and it signifies persistence.
Seahorse and Bubbles Tattoo

Seahorse tattoo with bubbles is a simple design which involves the seahorse surrounded by a few beautifully inked bubbles. It can signify the situations surrounding us and our sense of knowingness of the same.
This tattoo design is actually said to be a feminine tattoo design. It can be made into a small design and can adorn any part of the body. Since it has feminine, elegant, free-floating existence, it also has a 'free spirit' connotation. Seahorses are known to change colors to blend with the surroundings, when they sense danger. Hence, there is a myriad range of colors, that you can use to make these tattoos. There are also zebra seahorse tattoos, which have black and white striped heads. You can even choose white, amber, or brown colors for this tattoo. It can be combined with water, water bubbles, seaweeds, etc. They can also be designed to look as treble clefs. Another popular image of this tattoo is with a jagged lower body of the seahorse, that is bursting into flames.
(Taken from Buzzle.com)