«chapter twenty-nine: Broken»

Start from the beginning

I stay silent, mostly because I know it's true. I was worried. Scared. She would die. I was actually scared she would die.

And I still am.

"Guess she grew on me." I say, not wanting to answer the question I think he was actually asking.

"Yeah, I think she's growing on all of us. Even Conner!" He laughs, trying to make me feel better and changing the subject.

"We are here." Artemis says rushing in, frowning when she sees Catgirl unconscious on my lap, "Is she okay?"

"Bee over-exaggerated, probably just to get me in the room. But Bee wasn't far off, I need to stop the bleeding and I need an actual doctor to make repairs to anything inside that she might have hit" I tell her.

Wally mutters, "It worked." But Artemis doesn't seem to hear.

I start to get up, trying not to wake Catgirl but realize it's too late when I see her eyes widen, meaning she is waking up.

That's a good sign.

She lays her head back on my chest, as I walk into the Cave, but I don't get far as Batman stops me in the main room.

So Wally did call him. I just hope he brought a surgeon friend.

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

"What happened?" Batman demands, causing me to look at him.

"Cat-"

"I am fine." I cut off Nightwing, "Just a scratch."

"Why is Nightwing carrying you then?" He deadpans.

"Nightwing really wanted to carry me," I lie and when he doesn't smile at my joke I say, "I am ok," I tell him, but mostly myself. It's what Ben always said,' You will be ok.'

God, I miss him.

"Prove it. Walk." Batman watches as Nightwing lets me down gently. I take a step forward and instantly regret it.

Pain burns in my stomach-side, as black fuzzes dance in my vision. I stay there, not being about to see, and my ears growing hot.

"What are you waiting for?" Batman asks.

"The fuzzies to go away," I answer, not knowing any better. I have lost a lot of blood, and am kind of wosey.

I hear Bruce sigh and say, "Nightwing take her to the Medicine Bay. Dr. Thompkins will be in shortly."

Nightwing's hands grab my waist, making me jump slightly because I can't see anything. He picks me up again, the movement hurting, making me bite my lip to keep in any sound before he starts walking.

"I might throw up on you," I mutter, dizzy from the up and down.

"You absolutely will not."

"I might do it on purpose now." I joke, before closing my eyes and laying my head down again.

I hear a door open and feel him move to the corner of the room. He starts to set me down, and I tense.

"It's ok, I am just going to set you down. I will try not to hurt you." He says softly.

I thought he hated me, why is he helping me? This is the most we have talked since Rogue left. Partly my fault but.

I nod and bite my lip as he, gently, sets me down. I hiss in pain as my back meets the bed.