(11)

Missy

My fingers glided over each key as I listened to the melodic tones that I had created. For once, my thoughts were clear and at ease. It was just me and the sweet music to my ears.

"Wow, you nice on the keys...Who knew?"

I was startled by the voice, but I mentally rolled my eyes when recognizing who it was.

"You following me again, Woods?"

His deep chuckle filled the room and Donovan invited himself in to sit beside me. I scooted to the nearest end of the small bench.

"Nah, actually I was going to the bathroom and I heard you playing."

We sat there in silence until he finally spoke up once again. "C'mon, play something for me. You're dope, obviously."

"I'm aight..."

Donovan smacked his teeth and slid over closer to me, leaving no room in between us. "Humble too," he chuckled.

"Teach me something," he said while nudging me.

"You're not going to leave until I do, huh?"

"Nope."

I groaned and decided to just give in to his offer. "Okay, fine. Put your index finger here and your middle finger here. Now, follow my pattern in which I play in on my side."

I started to play and Donovan followed suit. He looked focused on what I had told him to do.

"So, how'd I do?" he asked with a small grin when we stopped playing.

I nodded with a sly look. "Not bad for a rookie."

"Thanks, I'm naturally gifted," he joked. "Who taught you how to play?"

"My mom taught me everything I know. It was always our thing. Every night before bed, I'd sit on her lap and watch her. Then, she actually started teaching me how to play. I thought it was gone be hard, but she taught me earlier on to just feel the music. The rest would come to you."

Donovan was so quiet that I thought he was looking elsewhere, but he was observing me and my every move. "Your mom sounds awesome," he finally said with a smile.

"Yeah, she was..."

There was a silence in the room and, then, the dismissal bell rang. I quickly got up to leave to make the moment less awkward.

"Woah, wait up. What you doing after school?" he inquired, rising up from the bench.

"Tutoring your boy, Will. Then, I have to help the events committee with planning the Winter formal," I informed him and he frowned.

"Damn, that sucks."

I furrowed my brows. "And, why is that?"

Donovan smacked his teeth. "Don't play slow, Missy." He closed in the gap between us and stepped up to me. I slowly backed away and went to grab my bookbag.

"Um, I'll see you later I guess," I told him and he walked over to me by the music room door.

"Alright, I'm gone call you tonight. You gone answer this time?" he arched his brow, waiting for a response. Honestly, I wasn't sure. As much as I say that I don't want to be close quarters with Donovan, he has aura about him that makes me comfortable.

"Yeah, I'll answer." He smiled at my reply and pulled me in for a side hug that threw me for a loop.

"Cool, I'm holding you to that. See you later."