(8)

Donovan

I looked through my closet and was stuck on what I should wear to this football game tonight. Most of my clothes needed to be washed at the moment.

"Bruh, hurry up! The game start at 8 pm." Bennett barked as him and Will barged in my room.

"Chill out. Some of us actually like to look decent, Ben."

Ben smacked his teeth and stuck his middle finger up at me. I shook my head and pulled out a pair of faded joggers from a hanger.

"Aye, bruh so guess who tutoring Will?" Ben asked with a small smirk on his face. I glanced over at Will waiting for one of them to say something.

"I don't like guessing, so come on out with it," I said as I put on the joggers on over my shorts.

"Your girl, Missy."

"Is that right...How that happened? I know she ain't just volunteer to help the less intelligent," I joked.

"Fuck you bro," Will looked up from his phone and finally broke his silence.

"I can just imagine you drooling over her as she attempts to help you with them equations," Ben added.

"Ben, you shut up too. You the same dude who was moping over Ash for how long? Don't act brand new cause Shana in the picture now." Will snapped and shook his head. I could tell that he was irritated.

"Woah, woah. You good, Will? I'm sensing your lightskin tendencies taking over," I joked once more about how he was acting.

"It's whatever. Y'all hurry up, I'll be in the truck waiting."

Will got up from my bed and strolled out quietly. Me and Ben looked at each other, confused as to why he was acting soft tonight.

"What's his problem?" I finally asked Ben.

He shrugged. "Who knows? It might be because of Missy. You know Will swear he got a chance with her, but you kind of blocking."

"Nah, I doubt it. Will would've said it by now," I commented before changing into a clean black shirt from my drawer and putting on my ball cap.

"Alright, let's go." I looked at myself in the closet mirror and nodded in approval just as I slid in my black vans.

When we got downstairs to the parking lot, I made it my business to ask Will what his deal was. The last thing I needed was a sour puss amongst us that were trying to have a good time.

"Aye, Will you alright?" I asked while getting in the back seat just he started the truck back up.

"I'm straight. Put y'all seat belts on too," he reminded us. His tone wasn't as tense as it was when we were in my apartment.

"This not about me trying to get at Missy, is it?"

Will cackled and shook his head. "Although, I think the whole bet is stupid...nah, it's not about her. Just stuff on the home front."

"You going to tell us what's going on or we gotta guess?" Ben questioned.

"Ain't nothing really. Just drop it."

I raised my hands and let it go. "Okay, then. Let's go."

"Y'all know who all gone be at this thing after the game?" Will asked he drove out of the lot and proceeded down the road to our school's campus.

"Well, it is Rodrick's Getty..." Ben mentioned.

"Which means all the bad shorties from Lemont gone be there," I added. "Watch I pull the baddest one."