SEVEN

The Twins are still inside their interview rooms when Chris and Lisa return to the control room with the rest of us. Looking at Chris I fight the urge to laugh at him. He had thought he was going to get the twins in a room and mow over them. However, Gil had ensured he will never make that mistake again. Chris should have known better. And as I had predicted: Galen didn't even acknowledge the fact that people had entered the room with him.

"I want to go interview Sara's roommate," I say, speaking up when silence settles over us.

I feel the vibration of my smartphone, and I shove my hand down into my pocket when Hye simply nods at me. Pulling out my phone, I see a new text message. They had given the twins their phones back and Gil's name sits in a small box on my screen. Looking at the monitors, I see both of the twins are now on their phones. My best guess is they are texting each other.

I know when I get home tonight I'll hear Gil complain about the weddings he was going to be late for. He has a full staff at his shop, and his business has been growing larger each year. Even if he isn't at work, someone will make sure the hamster doesn't fall off the wheel.

"I'll go with you," Sam speaks up right away, pocketing his own phone for what feels like the first time all day and collecting his things as if he couldn't move fast enough.

He has been distracted all day and it was beginning to worry me. Once we are alone in the car together I will ask him what was really going on. For now, I merely nod my head knowing Lisa will make sure the twins are taken back to wherever they had been when Chris and Sam had picked them up.

Walking down the hall with Sam I take my phone out again, this time, opening the message Gil had sent me.

How much time do you get for killing an FBI dickhead?

This time I didn't hold back my laughter. Sam looks at me but doesn't question my outburst as I text Gil back: As long as it takes for them to stick a needle in your arm.

I don't want to tell him that I had watched the whole thing. I was proud of how well he held himself. It was a turn on how well he stood up to Chris.

Guess I better not get caught. Know any good places to hide a body?

Shaking my head Sam and I make it to the garage. He jumps into the driver's seat as I climb into the passenger. A smile plays at the corner of my lips. Only Gil would ask me where to hide a body.

I hear the desert is prime real estate.

Sam pulls the car out, exiting the garage. Switching between the screens on my phone, I bring up a digital file I have stored on the device: Jessica Pratt had been Sara Mason's roommate. The information says she is a cocktail waitress at the Bellagio. The file is eight years old but it at least gave us a starting place. My phone beeps again and Gil's newest message appears on my screen.

You're sick. I love it.

I smile at the message before quickly sending my own: I'm in the middle of something. I'll see you tonight. I love you, Gil.

As nice as it might be to text him I had to focus on my work.

I love you too, Drix.

I turn off my screen looking up at the road. Immediately I notice Sam isn't going towards the Strip. Instead of following I-15 South to Paradise he takes West Cactus Avenue in Enterprise. I raise my eyebrow at Sam. His fingers are gripping the wheel so tight his knuckles are turning white.

His back is straight as if someone has placed a rod against his spine. His eyes are fixed on the road as he drives irately. The SUV weaving in and out of traffic coming dangerously close to smashing into the back of several cars in a few separate incidents.