Chapter 14

Yori flipped the map around in in an odd fashion, making peculiar grunts and faces as he glared it down. I chuckled and flipped the map over. "It'd be easier to read if you had it right side up."

Yori grunted as he accepted his mistake and gazed back at the map. Yori was so caught up in the marks and pictures of the map that he didn't even stop to admire the forest we traveled in. The forest was pleasant as the sun casts a small soft glow poking through the leaves. This forest differed greatly from that of the Urek's, as it gave off a feeling of contentment. Taking in the few rays of sunlight left in the day, I stretched back and breathed out in delight. It felt great to get a break from stresses and just soak in the nature.

Yori suddenly turned to speak, "What's the Dark Cave?," he asked pointing to the top of the map.

I nudged over and looked at where his arm was pointing to. We've come a long way and it looked to be that the Dark Cave was our last pathway present on the Sovereign's directions. The directions were straightforward so most of the landmarks were simple rocks or significantly large trees. The Dark Cave though, was really the only troublesome pathway.

I shook my head. The Dark Cave, huh? I couldn't really think of anything to describe it as other than "dark." It was a cave that a lot of people avoided, even my old peers in Team Rocket. Speaking of Team Rocket, I'm still quite confused how they haven't tracked me down. They have the means, money, and intelligence to do it, but I'm still here? I've had quite a smooth ride through my journey now that I think about it. Other then that Arbok, I haven't had any rough run-ins. I scratched my ear, I would imagine that a big member like myself would trigger some sort of retaliation, but no.. nothing.

Yori tugged at my leg, "You're gazing off again Flare!"

Smacking my face, I glanced at Yori and struggled for an answer. "It's Dark..?"

"Dark? Geez thanks."

I sighed, there I go again, a crazy mind. Reevaluating my thoughts I picked Yori up and placed him on my shoulder. Supporting him with my paw I poked his nose with my finger.

"Just don't worry about it," I said. "We'll be just fine, the details aren't important!"

Yori giggled and hugged my arm, "Okay! I'll trust that you'll protect me!"

Chuckling I placed him back on my shoulder and let him grip upon my fur. Nuzzling him with my cheek, I purred happily. "I will protect you, I will love you, and I will care for you."

"Let's go!" Yori beckoned. "The cave shouldn't be far now!"

Yori was right, we were only a little ways away from it. Just Yori's constant blabbering made it seem like an eternity. But Yori didn't mind, his obsession was invested in his newly found "Shiny stone" (as he calls it). He carried it in my handkerchief and took it out constantly to inspect and polish it.

Soon my eternity ended and there the cave stood, gladly showing that its title is very much true to it. The cave's entrance was a void of absent light, with only the first few paces being dimly illuminated by the setting sun.

I started off towards the entrance, but Yori quickly tugged at my fur.

"Stop!" he squealed.

I did as I was told and held a confused expression as Yori jumped off my shoulder and onto the ground.

"I want to lead the way!" he said pridefully

I snickered, "You couldn't produce a big enough flame bud, you're just too small."

Yori puffed up his cheeks and suppressed a squeal of rage. "I'll show you that I can do it!"

Yori's fur began to bristle before it shot out with a powerful flame. The flame glowed brightly and was almost as large as Yori himself.