Chapter 5

Taking a step back I lowered myself... I wouldn't let him take my friend.

"Hehe, you're not gonna come any closer," chuckled the Koffing as he whirled around the Seviper's victim.

My rage was building, but I knew if I made one wrong move... I'd lose my friend.

"Let.. Go of him" I said suppressing a snarl.

The Seviper gleamed at me with a crooked smile of amusement. "If it wasss that eassssy then we wouldn't be here.... and besssidess, we won't be taking any offersss."

The Koffing swirled around producing a small toxic cloud, "We won't! We won't!" he repeated aimlessly.

Still lowered down, I suppressed a growl as I spoke in brief phrases of rage "I.. don't.. care, what you want. I WILL put you down."

My fur began to thistle, I felt a flame burning up inside me, I shut my eyes and tried to calm down, but all I could feel was heat. I was ready to pounce on these crooks and kill them for what they've done. Thoughts of revenge, battles, and fire spread throughout my head. My old self was slipping in through the backdoor of my mind, entering unseen as it slowly takes control.

I couldn't give in... Not here! Not now!

Toiling with myself I fell to the ground, clenching the grass within my paw. Rage built up inside me, I felt the flames flaring inside as they waited to escape. I tried to escape this rage in the past that boiled inside me; the rage that I've always knew. So many years of hatred and destruction embedded inside me, the past caught up to me in a catastrophic manner. My neck ached as I fought these thoughts, these thoughts of destruction. My mind was in turmoil as I tried to resist my past self, but it was all in vain. My mind was lost before I even begun, my weak kindness could never overcome the amount of evil that I was a part of. The amount of evil that "I" was. All I knew was to kill. All I knew was to steal. All I knew was to destroy.... All I knew was to sin........

"Flash! Flash! Wake up you stupid thing, we have work to do."

Jolting out of bed I stood to my feet as I stared my master in the eyes.

"Ptth, don't give me that look... You know the drill, follow me."

I did as instructed, just as I always did. I respected my master, not only out of fear, but out of love. He always seemed so harsh to me, but that was only for looks in the halls of our headquarters. He would always treat me with kindness when we are alone and refused to put me in a Pokeball. I remember all the days he yelled and beat me, but after several years of obedience training I forced myself to be completely subordinate. And slowly, Lexin began to express his love for me. It started as pats to the head, then petting, and eventually cuddling. This made our bond something... special, compared to all the other members here. I wasn't just his Pokemon, I was his friend. He gave me hope as he encouraged me and praised me for my efforts, I lived to hear his compliments. Walking by Lexin's side I followed him down the hall. Same layout, same white floors, same banners, same routine. Waddling down the hallway I glanced around at the Lab. They always had interesting things there. Pokemon, stones, relics... They kept themselves busy. Looking closely into the lab I made out a figure that jolted around inside a small cage. Not again... I never enjoyed the thought of them "experimenting" on Pokemon, but I had no say in the matter and nor did I need to. I was a servant and all I needed to know was my mission.

"Flash! Hurry up! Archer doesn't like to be kept waiting and if I'm late, you're taking the punishment!"

My ears shot up instantly.

Running down the hallway I was at my master's side immediately, I didn't want to be punished. Lexin was always hard on me in my younger years, but as I became increasingly obedient he rewarded me with care. I knew not to detest him, just as I knew to not detest any members in this organization. Obedience kept you alive and rebellion was either whipped out of you, or you were whipped out of this world. Following Lexin I found myself in a dark room with only the lights of technology surrounding me. I felt the air get colder as the doors behind us closed. A long table sat in the center of the room, illuminated by a single lamp dangling from the ceiling. I saw several figures around the table, some in which I recognized as esteemed generals. Lexin walked towards the table confidently as he pulled a chair out and sat in it. I knew I wasn't allowed near most of these people, so I sat away from the table directly behind my master. Laying my chin down into my paws, I watched the briefing and more specifically I watched my master.

Lexin was the first to speak, "So.. Archer, you've called us here for a good reason, yeah? Or did you just want some bonding time?"

Lexin always had a sense of humor that got him into a lot of trouble and if Lexin got in trouble, I got in trouble... And punishment was no laughing matter. A young voice rose up at the end of the table; It was a confident voice, that talked in a single tone of seriousness.

"So, I've called you here today for an important operation and I expect it to be carried out perfectly. Failure is not an option and if you come back empty handed the punishments will be severe."

The briefing soon turned into a one way conversation in which Archer spoke while the others listened in fear and respect. Watching Lexin intently staring at his commander, I soon found myself in a blurred out trance as I tuned out everything around me.