Forgiveness

"No way," Cassie gasped. Ben sadly nodded, then said, "It's weird. I just remember growing up around his parents, they seemed so happy. I guess...I don't know. I don't understand how couples can just divorce like that."

Cassie went up to him and said, "Well, whatever the matter may be, I think spending time with him is a good idea. Poor Tom, he must be a wreck. I know I would be." Ben nodded in agreement and said, "So would I. But you don't mind me taking him to a pub to get pissed tonight?"

She scoffed, "Of course not! Go! Make him feel better so you can feel better?" He looked at her curiously and asked, "What do you mean?" She quirked an eyebrow at him. "You're sad around him," she told him, "I can see it. You've known each other for years, so of course your wounded by loosing your friend. So go make amends and you won't get a kiss until you do."

"Oh, what?" He whined. "That's not fair! What about a goodbye kiss?" She started pushing him towards her door as she said, "Nope. Goodbye, Ben." He stopped himself at the doorframe. "This could be the last time you see me," he said. "You really don't want to kiss me, even if it was one last time?"

He started to lean in, but she shoved him out the door, then said, "I'll take my chances." She shut the door, then locked it.

**

Ben put down his money to the bar tender, then walked away with the two pints and set them down at the table him and Tom were at. "Thanks, mate," Tom mumbled. "No problem," Ben told him. "So, did you want to talk or just get pissed?"

Tom let up a little smirk and said, "Both, if you don't mind." Ben put his hands up and said, "I don't mind at all. It's been a while since we've done this anyways." They both started drinking their beer. "Will Cassie mind you going back to her place drunk?"

"Nah," Ben told him. "She encouraged me to get drunk with you, anyways, so we might as well take advantage of that." They clinked their glasses together, then took a huge chug.

Six pints later, the two boys were laughing and talking like it was old times. "Do you remember the time when I put that freaky clown doll on your bed and when you saw it, you screamed like a girl?" Tom laughed his ass off as Ben drunkly said, "Yes, I do, you arse! I nearly shit my pants!"

They both laughed and started playfully pushing each other. "Oh, I've missed you mate," Tom sighed. "Shit, I forgot how much fun we are. Now I'm a miserable sod because my ex-girlfriend realized she liked you more than me, my most recent ex-girlfriend hates me because she thinks I'm still in love with the first one, and now my parents are getting a divorce. Christ, I'm such a loser."

Ben took Tom by the shoulder and said, "I'm so sorry. And you're not a loser. This divorce isn't your fault, Tom. I know nothing about it, of course, but I know it's not. Your parents love you and your sister. I can't imagine going through what you are right now, but I'm here for you. So is Martin, Adam, and James, even Cass. She's worried about you, too."

Tom smiled and patted his friend on the back. "Well, I say we drink some more, then stir up some shit," he said. Ben waved over their waitress as he said, "Let's get something a little stronger, shall we?"

**

"Hello! Is it me you're looking for? I can see it in your eyes! I can see it in your smile!" Cassie grunted and threw off her comfortable blanket. Who in the hell is singing Lionel Richie at four in the morning?!

She angrily climbed down from her bed and stormed to the door. She swung it open and saw two tall and handsome men at her door. One of them looked like a very wasted version of her boyfriend.

"Jesus, you two," she whined. "Do you know what time it is?" She stepped aside and they stumbled in. "Nope!" Tom loudly announced. He fell on to the futon, while Ben slung his arm around Cassie's shoulder and leaned in to kiss her, but she put her finger on his lips.

He whined, then asked with a slur, "Wha's wron'?" She rolled her eyes with a small smirk and told him, "You reek, babe. And I'm mad at you for waking me at four in the morning. I have three exams tomorrow, I need my sleep."

Suddenly, Ben looked incredibly guilty. His drunkenness was making his guilt expression a little over exaggerated. "Oh, baby, I 'm s'sorry. Fuck. O'ay, g'back t'sleep." He started lightly pushing her back to her bed.

"Are you staying here?" She asked. "Cause if you are, you're either brushing your teeth or sleeping on the floor." He gave her a cute, drunk lopsided smile and said, "I'o brush m'teeth." Just as he was about to stumble to the bathroom, Tom got of the futon and swayed his way over to her.

She could tell he was a little more sober than Ben, but she was still fearing what he was going to say. "I...am so sorry," he told her. She quirked an eyebrow at him and asked, "For what?" He smiled. "Everything," he said. "I was so wrong...and such a dick. Forgive me?"

Ben was looking at this with a more sober and clear head. When he caught Cassie's eye, he couldn't help but smile. "Of course I forgive you," she told Tom. She opened her arms and he leaned down and hugged her.

"I'm sorry about what you're going through," she said in his ear. "I know I'm not as deep a friend as you and the boys are, but you can talk to me anytime." He smiled with tears in his eyes. "Thank you, darling."

Cassie rubbed his back for a moment, then pulled away. "You're more than welcome to crash here. You can take Alice's bed since she's with James at the house. Or you can take the futon, whichever." He kissed her cheek and said, "I would love to! I think I'll need a little coffee first."

She pointed to the coffee maker her parents got her for christmas, then said, "Help yourself. I'm going to sleep." As she climbed back up to bed, Ben went to brush his teeth and Tom made the coffee. When Ben came back out, Tom handed him a cup.

He thanked him with a nod, then started drinking it. Soon, he was feeling a lot more sober. "I hope tonight lifted your spirits a little," he whispered, as not to wake a passed out Cassie. Tom smiled and told him, "It really did. Thank you, Ben, really."

"Anytime, mate." They stayed sat on the futon for a little longer, when Tom whispered, "She's crazy about you. I can see she loves you. Have you told her yet?" Ben shook his head, then explained how they had talked about waiting to say it.

"She doesn't want to move too quickly," he said. "She wants to enjoy this time and I don't blame her." Tom looked up to where he could see Cassie's body moving slowly with each breath she took. "I screwed up. I screwed up and stupidly let her go. But I see how happy she is with you and I think that's why I got so angry, especially after Olivia broke up with me. Of course, I was furious that you lied to me about you and her not hooking up at the party, but I've realized it's not worth it. She loves you, you love her and there's nothing I can do, except for be happy for you."

Ben was in shock. This was amazing of him to do. "Thanks, Tom," he said. "And hey, why don't you invite Olivia out with us on Friday? Talk to her tomorrow and if she says no, just try and persuade her." Tom thought for a few moments. Ben could practically see the gears turning in his head.

"Yeah," he eventually said, "I'll give it a try. In the meantime, I'm going to get to sleep because I have two finals tomorrow. You have any?" Ben sighed and said, as he got up, "Two for me, as well. Um, Cass has extra pillows and blankets in the closet if you decide on the futon."

Tom nodded and said, "Yeah...I know." Ben gave him a double take, but tried not to think anything of what he just heard. Of course he knows, he thought, they dated for two months. But why would he need extra pillows?

"Night," Tom said, as he got himself comfy. Ben cleared his throat, then said, "Night." He climbed up to Cassie's bed, then slipped off his shirt and jeans and carefully got in without trying to wake her. She did a little bit, but then sleepily whispered, "Did you brush your teeth?"

As his answer, he leaned down and captured her lips in a kiss. When he pulled back, she snuggled up to his chest and sighed contently. He lightly stroked her hair as his eyes started to droop. He was going to have one hell of a hangover tomorrow.