Just Friends

One Month Later...

"Now, remember this because it is going to be on the exam next week: Atoms are made up of electrons, protons, and neutrons. I will repeat that again; electrons, protons, and neutrons." Every pencil in the class could be seen moving to Professor Channing's words, making sure they can get every possible piece of information to pass next week's exams. 

Well, everyone, except for three people. One of them was fast asleep on their desk and the other two were trying they're damned best not to giggle too loud, as they flicked tiny balled up pieces of paper at said person. 

Ben had tossed one right into Tom's open mouth and watched as he swallowed it. He laughed silently into his arm, while Cassie was leaning over him and laughing into his back, as she threw the tiny ball into Tom's unruly curls, adding on to the heap of them that have been there for a good twenty minutes. 

That just contributed even more to Ben's laughter, except his deep voice made it a bit too loud this time. "Mr. Cumberbatch and Ms. Hansen," Professor Channing announced. "Do I need to send you two out of class again?" Cassie was clutching on to Ben's arm, trying to hide her smile on the back of his shoulder. 

"No, sir," Ben answered with a straight face that was beginning to crack with a smile. The Professor gave the two a stern look, before turning back to his lesson. Without trying to cause anymore of a fuss, they both started taking notes, but their smiles were not going anywhere. 

This past month has been truly amazing for Ben and Cassie. Unfortunately, Cassie still never considered their hangouts to be dates, but Ben has gotten over that fact...in a sense. He still loves Cassie and wants her more than anything in the world, but he is more than content with being her friend. He's glad he gets to hang out with her everyday. 

Once class ended, Ben smacked Tom awake (per-usual), then turned to Cassie and asked, "You still coming over? The guys will be gone, so we'll have the place to ourselves." She beamed her heart-melting, knee-weakening smile at him and said, "Of course! I'll pick up the Chinese?" 

He nodded and said, "Some of your beer is still in the fridge. I've had to fight the guys off like vultures." Cassie awed and hugged him, while they started to walk out. Tom trailed behind them, yawning loudly. "You two are cute together," he remarked with a teasing smile. 

Ben shot a glare at him. Tom knows damn well Ben is the definition of Friend-Zone at the moment. "Oh, Tommy, are you jealous?" Cassie teased back. Tom smiled at her and flirted, "I'm jealous at any man that has you under his arm." 

Cassie tsk'd and flirted back, "Well, lucky for you, I don't have one." Ben was whipping his head back and forth between the two. Was this seriously happening? Were they playfully flirting or were they actually flirting? He couldn't tell because both of them were very sarcastic assholes. Then again, so was he. 

"Then I may just have to stake my claim," Tom retorted. Ben had to stop this right now because once Tom Hiddleston gets flirting with a girl, she ends up at their breakfast table the next morning and Ben has a crick in his neck from sleeping on the couch. 

"We'll see you at home, Tom," Ben quickly said, while pulling Cassie along. There's no way he wants Tom to get with Cassie, but that wouldn't happen. He's being paranoid. Tom is his friend and he knows Ben has serious feelings for Cassie. He wouldn't do anything like that to hurt him. 

Ben walked Cassie to her dorm, before heading off to his next class. He loves his theater class, but his mind kept wandering to tonight. They have the house to themselves because he asked James, Martin, and Adam if they could go out while they were there. He was hoping to drop some subtle hints to Cassie about how he wants to be more than friends. Tom had a class until later that night, so he wasn't going to be a problem.