Masquerade - STORY

Masquerade 

I cannot believe my eyes! I am standing right in front of the most magnificent rack of dresses I have seen. Not that I have seen much but whatever. They were just so... so... I don't event have a word to describe it. I was just blown away. Now I think I should go shopping more often.

'I don't think you'll like the taste of bugs girl.' Madeline whispers as she steps in behind me snapping me out of my trance. Then, I realized that I was gawking at all these dresses. You can't blame me for gawking. Any girl who isn't a fan of shopping for designer clothes would have done the same thing. Wouldn't they? This place was just so colourful. It's filled with all sorts of dresses and gowns. I only just stepped into the store and I have already seen a rack of about 200 dresses, and with a store this big, I don't think I can imagine how many dresses are in here. I walk pass all these rack of dresses while brushing hand along the different materials of the dresses. This place was a maze, a maze made by dresses.

'Earth to Jasmine? Hello?' Madeline says waving her hand in front of my face snapping me out of a trance for the second time in a five-minute time span. When you put me in an amazing situation, my attention span is quite shorter than usual.

'Hello?  There you go again. I thought I just revived you.' Madeline waves her hand in front of my face once again. 'Jas, we are here to get you a dress for the school ball tonight. Not for you to daydream.' She finished with a wink. Tonight was the end-of-year ball. It wasn't compulsory, but most of the school would go. This was a masked ball, even the teachers were going to dress up. If tonight was fun, I swear I would regret not going last year.

'Oh shush Mad. I was not daydreaming.' If looks could kill, I would have already shaved off all her hair. She gives me this 'sure you weren't' look and turns back around to the rack to choose a dress for us. Well technically, she is choosing a dress for herself, but since I keep zoning out, I think she is going to choose one for me. She turns around to face me with this elegant pale purple dress. It was a one-strap dress that is meant to go halfway passed the knee. From the waist of the dress, one side of the dress was filled with puffy layers going down to my feet, while the other side was cover with fish net like material. Don't judge me if I didn't get the names of the materials right! Like I said, I wasn't a fan of shopping for complicated clothes.

'Jas, this dress isn't that complicated.' Oops. I guess I said that out loud. 'Yes you did.' And there I go again. 'Yes, Jas. Yes.'

'I'm just going to go try this on now.' I say holding the dress in one hand and pointing to the change room sign, with the other, hand awkwardly. I just glared at her as she was failing miserably to contain her laugh.

I walking to the change rooms and change into my dress. Well what else would I do? Stand there and look at my horrible reflection?

Your reflection is not horrible.

Yes it is! Look at me!

I am looking. My eyes are your eyes remember?

Oh great! Now I am arguing with myself.

That is true. You are thinking negative while I am thinking positive.

How can I be thinking negative while you are thinking positive? We are one remember dummy?

I am the half of you that isn't a dummy. You do know that you just called yourself dummy don't you? You are the half of me who said that.

I turn around to look at my reflection. I can't believe my eyes. In the mirror I see a beautiful girl. But that can't be me. Can it?

Yes it can! That beautiful girl is you!