RW Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N: Yay I'm back with a new chapter :D I almost updated yesterday but then I remembered that it was Monday and I could have a break... XD 

I spent my whole day at college watching anime... 

This chapter has been so difficult to write D: 

Chapter Twenty-Four

"It's your last night tonight!" Abi says cheerfully as she sets our plates down in front of us. We murmur a 'thanks' in unison and watch her as she grabs hers and Ed's plate from the kitchen side and joins us. "Are you looking forward to going back to LA?"

"Yeah, I've gotten a little homesick." I admit to her and I look over at Mello to see if he's going to say anything. I turn back to eat the food, if I take my time it'll get cold and won't be as nice.

Last night we both agreed what the story will be, Mello is coming back with me to LA as we're planning to move in together. It's kind of true, since I'm allowing Mello to stay until he finds his own place to live.

"Mello?" Abi presses, attempting to get the blonde's opinion. Mello looks at her and then at me, before returning his gaze to Abi.

"I'm excited," he mumbles. He eats another mouthful of food.

"I'm forcing him to meet my parents, he doesn't get on well with my dad." I lie. I shoot a glare at Mello.

"Ah, explains." Ed comments.

The rest of the dinner passes in silence, Mello barely saying anything. I can only guess that he's running through his plan carefully. He barely explained it to me last night, I'm still unsure of what he wants to achieve. Mello seems so out of character, I can only pray that it's because he's worrying about the next few days.

"I'll take you back to Near. I have information to give him regarding the Death Note. After that, I'll leave and find somewhere to stay, so if I don't return to your apartment when you get home then presume that I found somewhere and be happy you'll never have to see me again." He explained.

The logical and sensible part of me prays that he finds somewhere straight away; but then the stupid part of me hopes he doesn't. I have two conflicting sides. Half of me wants him to stay and never leave my side, the other wants him to stay far away considering all he's done to me. The other side, the stupid side, argues that he also saved me. The times when he made sure my name wouldn't be visible to Snydar, when he grabbed me from my room during the raid, when he dragged me to safety after he blew the base up, when he carried me to Abi and Ed's after I fell unconscious. Then that could all be argued that he did that to protect the Life Note and not me. If that's the case, then why didn't he just take the Life Note from me and protected it instead? I was just pointless weight that he had to carry around - especially considering he carried me when he was badly burnt.

I just can't think logically anymore.

Can I really be related to L? Would L have a problem with understanding Mello's motives? Probably not. He was probably the smartest person in the world. He was unbeatable. Until Kira got him – that is.

I run my hands through my hair and sit on the edge of the bed. I lean back until my head touches the mattress and I let out a sigh.

What is Mello up to? What's going through his head? I really wish I could read his mind. Why has he kept me alive this whole time? Does he know I'm L's sister? Is that why? Or are there other reasons?

There are knocks at the door and I jolt up. I walk over to the door and open it to see Mello standing there.

"Do you have everything packed?" He asks as he leans against the door frame. "Our plane is in twelve hours, I'd rather that you get plenty of sleep than none. I don't want to be dragging you through the airport."