09

Adrien slowly fluttered his eyes open as he shielded his face from the blinding light. The first thing he noticed was the white ceiling, the sound coming from the machines, and how his arm was wrapped in bandage. He attempted to turn his head to scan his surroundings, but he only ended up wincing from the stinging pain in his neck. In an instant, he knew that he was in a hospital.

The memories of the day he fought Evillustrator and saved Marinette came flooding into his head, making his head ache. He racked his brain for the possible reason he was admitted to the hospital, which he eventually remembered; he was sent flying to the other side by the akuma. The impact must have knocked him out for a couple of days and hurt him real bad.

Oh well, so much for being a hero and saving someone's life in his civilian form. He just hoped Ladybug was fine and saved her.

His eyes widened and he tensed; Ladybug fought the akuma alone! His heart beats rapidly in his chest as he thought of the endless possibilities of what could've happened during the fight. Did she get hurt? Did she have any difficulty dealing with him? Was she able to manage by herself? If ever she was hurt, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself and probably sulk all day long. But that's not possible, right? She's fine. She's a superhero after all! He must be overreacting and thin--

The sound of the door to his room creaking open made him snap back to reality. "Adrien, are you up already?" the shy voice called out. He didn't know why, but a smile graced his lips in an instant once he heard her voice--Marinette's voice. The door clicked and an exasperated sigh escaped Marinette's lips as she placed the brown paper bag of croissants she brought onto the table and pulled a chair over to the foot of his bed.

"He's still not awake, isn't he?" she thought aloud as she hunched her body forward towards his.

He chuckled. "I'm awake, silly."

Marinette blinked a couple of times as she tried to process what was currently happening. Was Adrien, after 3 days, finally awake? That must be a miracle! Once she was able to get a grasp on what was happening, she jumped in her eat and fell onto the floor with a loud thud. This worried Adrien, "Marinette? Are you okay? I'm so--"

He wasn't able to finish his sentence due to the fact that Marinette enveloped him in a not too tight and not too gentle embrace as she buried her face in the crook of his neck. Adrien was practically blushing and dumbfounded at the same time, no one has ever done this to him in a long time. He felt so special, it felt so... odd. On the other hand, Marinette was a blushing mess. She couldn't believe it, she hugged Adrien! She went on autopilot once she heard him talk out of happiness.

"I-I'm so glad you're back. Everyone in school has been missing you, you know? W-We heard about what happened to you back there... Don't ever scare us like that again." her voice cracked halfway and her hug tightened a bit. Adrien smiled and slowly brought up his hand to her back, even though it was a bit painful, and hugged her back, which caused Marinette to blush even more. Adrien's smiled widened even more, knowing that there are actually people who genuinely care for him, not for his look, for his fame or anything.

He actually meant something to other people.

Marinette pulled back and awkwardly scratched the back of her head as she averted her gaze to the floor, her face still red. Her heart was racing and her body was shaking in nervousness. She lifted her gaze from the floor to his emerald eyes once his hand enveloped hers. He squeezed it gently and smiled at her reassuringly, "Well, I'm here. See? Alive and well. Sorry for scaring everyone like that."

Her eyes widened at his sudden reaction and her mouth was agape, but it changed into a wide grin. "I'm just glad you're safe."

The moment he made contact with her eyes, he saw her once again. He saw the same fiery determined eyes of Ladybug in Marinette's. For some odd reason, just staring deeply into her blue eyes reminded him so much of his lady. A faint tint of pink dusted his cheeks as he continued to stare at her in surprise and confusion.