Chapter Fourteen

"You're not coming out until you've talked!". I frowned at the door and in the silence, I realized something.

It was too quiet. And it was an awkward, tension-filled silence at that.

Slowly, I turned around to find my mate sitting in his seat, staring at me wide-eyed in fear. Then my eyes took in the entire scene and my heart broke. No! my wolf howled, but I couldn't say I was surprised. I'd guessed it and apparently I'd guessed correctly.

There was some tall, skinny, red-head stradling his lap, her lips and his swollen from kissing and she was missing her top. My eyes watered and I looked away, taking a shuddering breath. I gathered up all my hurt and turned to the door, kicking it open and hearing Serendipity go flying down the hall. I ran out of the room, out of the pack house and into the woods, ignoring Cam's calls of my name behind me.

-----------------

Screaming, I shot straight up out of my sleep. Damn it, I don't want to remember it! But of course, my subconscious couldn't forget. The dream broke my heart, again.

I tried getting out of the bed and lost my balance. The sheets were tangled around my legs and I fell off the bed. I winced as my left hand took the impact of my fall. My bedroom door flew open and I looked up to see my dad standing there, eyes blazing, scanning for danger. When he realized there was none, his eyes fell upon me and I scowled as he struggled to keep from laughing.

"What are you doing on the floor, daughter?"

"I fell..." I mumbled and set about getting the sheets off me.

"Let me." Gideon said and crouched next to me. He yanked the sheets away from my body in one swift motion and my legs were free.

"Umm... Dad?" I hesitated on using the family title. He grinned at me when he heard and nodded his head for me to continue. "Can we go get Hunter? I don't want him left alone there."

"Of course. Get ready and we can go." He stood and pulled me to my feet also. "Oh, and here, we went and got your cellular phone from the pack."

"Thanks! Just give me a few minutes!" I jumped up to grab my iPhone from him, glad that the headphones were still wrapped around it. Putting one headphone in, I started up my music and grabbed a brush from the counter and then dragged it through my wild hair. When it was finally untangled, I ran down to meet up with my dad and Eric.

"Ready to go?" Eric asked, holding the door open with his foot as I came up to them.

"Yep. Let's get this over with."

We rushed out the door and spent the next few minutes sprinting with vamp speed through the trees, racing each other, until we reached the pack house. Hunter came running out and jumped into my arms.

"Mommy! You're back!"

Serendipity and Caleb ran out behind him, both crushing me in a hug. They saw my dad and uncle behind me and sighed forlornly.

"You're leaving?" Serendipity asked me, her hand squeezing my shoulder.

"Yeah. I'm not sure for how long." I sighed, glaring at the house behind them. A new song came on and I smirked at the irony of it. Of course now my music decided to play "My Happy Ending" by Avril Lavigne at this moment.

"Don't leave me, Mommy!"

"I would never. I came back for you, baby." I cradled Hunter to my chest and sighed. I would miss my brother and Serendipity.

Sighing, I turned to my uncle and father. They nodded and disappeared into the forest. I knew they had gone back to the castle. My nose picked up on Camdyn's scent and I looked around to see him walking towards our little group in the middle of the lawn. Serendipity frowned and was going to say something but her gaze dropped upon a sharp glance from Camdyn.