Chapter Twelve

"Mommy! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

A small body bounced on the bed next to me. I groaned and rolled over, pulling my pillow over my head. Hunter giggled and sat on my back, poking me in the shoulder repeatedly. "What is it, Hunter?"

"It's my birfday! You pwomised you would take me to the fair!" He pried the pillow off my head and gave me the puppy dog eyes. I sighed, giving in, and sat up. He squealed and hugged me tightly, making me gasp as the air was forced out of my lungs.

"You're right, I did promise you buddy. And I never break my promises." I ruffled his hair and tossed him in the air, catching him after I stood up.

"Put me down, pwease!" Hunter wiggled in my arms and I set him on his feet. He raced out of the room and I heard the pitter-patter of his feet go down the hall and into Camdyn's room. I snickered. He was in for a rude awakening.

3...2...1...

"DADDY!"

Laughing, I gathered some clothes for today and a towel before locking myself into the bathroom. It's been about three months since we found Hunter and he had taken to calling Camdyn and I, 'mommy' and 'daddy'. We didn't complain, for we'd gone to court and aquired complete custody of Hunter, making him our adopted son. A smile lifted my lips as I thought about my small family.

I quickly showered and then pulled on some black leggings, a grey knit jumper and my worn brown Doc Martens. My white blonde hair fell loosely down my back and I gave myself one last look over in the mirror before walking out of my room and into the kitchen. Pouring myself a glass of orange juice, I chugged it and then frowned when the carton only had enough left to fill the cup halfway. My eyes raked over the shelves in the fridge for a quick breakfast, but I came up with nada.

"Ready to go?"

I turned to see Camdyn standing there with an overexcited Hunter sitting on his shoulders. Camdyn was wearing a red hoodie over a black shirt that had writing on it. He had regular jeans on and finished it off with combat boots. I narrowed my eyes at the writing on his shirt and he pulled the sides of the hoodie apart to show me the whole shirt, smirking at me.

I gasped and smacked him on the arm. Hard. He just started laughing at me and pulled me into his side and led me to the car. After he got Hunter buckled in, he closed the car door and turned around. I quickly zipped the hoodie all the way up, ignoring his choking sounds as the neckline squeezed his fat neck.

"There, much better."

"Are you telling me that you aren't supportive of breast cancer?"

I glared at him, crossing my arms. "I am very supportive of breast cancer. However, that doesn't mean I support you wearing a shirt that states 'Save Motor Boating'. That's where I draw the line. Especially because Hunter is right there!"

Camdyn raised an eyebrow at me. "I'm not understanding the big deal. It's just a shirt."

I grumbled while I watched him walk around the car and climb into the driver's seat. Sighing in frustration, I opened the passenger door and collapsing into the seat. Hunter leaned forward and shoved something next to my face. I grabbed it and looked down at it.

It was a pretty good drawing for a four year old, but what disturbed me was that I could recognize myself and Camdyn. We were fighting and I turned to look at Hunter, meeting his big sad eyes. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently.

"Are you and daddy mad at each other?"

"Oh, no, sweetie. We were just having a minor dispute. Don't worry, I still love the big dummy."