Epilogue

Hunter came through the back door to the castle and collapsed into a chair at the dining table. Sweat poured off his body and I chuckled as he gulped down the water I sat in front of him.

"Can't you tell Dad to back off on my training? My body hurts every single day, thanks to him."

"No can do, baby. You know he's doing it for your protection."

"I know, but sometimes I think he does it because he doesn't want to some inside to face you."

I raised my brows and propped my hands on my hips. "Is that so?"

Hunter shrugged and poured himself another glass of water. "Don't shoot me, I'm just making guesses. Oh, also, I meant to ask you something."

"Shoot."

"Do you think I'll meet my mate or beloved tomorrow? Uncle Caleb told me that normal wolves usually find their mates on their sixteenth birthday."

"I have no idea. It depends on whether or not the Fates have that lined up for you. I didn't meet my mate until I was seventeen. I met your father after we ran from him."

Hunter frowned and leaned against the opposite side of the island counter. "I don't remember him."

"Good. I still feel bad about killing him, but he was a bastard who cheated on me because he didn't want to wait to mate, but I did."

"You killed him in the war, right?"

My eyes watered, like they do every time the war is brought up. I don't like remembering that time. "Yeah."

"Oh shit, Mom, I'm sorry."

"Language," Declan stated as he walked into the room.

I blinked away the tears and turned to face him with my hands on my hips. "You have some explaining to do."

"What did I do?"

Hunter bit his lip and silently snuck past his father before running upstairs to his room. He'd grown up so fast and I can't believe the man he's becoming. I'm so proud of him.

"I heard from a little birdie that you may be pushing Hunter so hard in training so that you don't have to face me."

His eyes widened, then darted back and forth, looking anywhere but my face. "What? Who said that?"

"It's true?!" I screeched, my hand slamming down on the counter in rage. Then my expression softened and I felt my eyes start to water. "Why don't you want to be near me?"

"That's not what I meant, little wolf," he quickly pulled me into his arms and rubbed my back soothingly. "I didn't want to face you because of the fact that you've got me running around doing chores that I barely have time for."

"And you think I can do them?"

"Of course not, but I just don't know how to deal with your mood swings at times. Especially whenever you're hungry."

I sighed and took one of his hands in mine, kissing the knuckles. "I'm sorry that I'm asking so much of you. The next time that I do that, just tell me that you don't have time to do everything. I can ask your friends to help out. They never seem to be doing anything, so I can put them to work."

He laughed and kissed me lovingly. "Sounds good."

"Good."

Bending over, he placed a hand on my stomach and chuckled. "If you're anything like your mother, you're going to be a handful. But I will always love you."

I placed my hand above his and grinned down at him as he talked to the seven month swell of my stomach that housed our baby. He placed a kiss right above my navel and then stood up and kissed me.

"So, what's on the agenda for the rest of the day?"

"Hmm, I think I'm free."

I smiled and grabbed his hand. "That's good because I can't reach my feet and my ankles have been killing me all day."

Scooping me up into his arms, he rolled his eyes and started walking towards our room. "And here I thought it would be something romantic."

"It can be."

"How so, little wolf?"

"You're doing something for me, I can return the favor, if you so choose."

His eyes darkened and he picked up the pace, kicking our door shut once we get inside. "I'm going to give you the best damn foot massage you've ever had. That way you have to pay me back really well."

I laughed and pulled him in for a kiss. "I would've done that anyway."

"I'm really glad I soundproofed these walls."