Prologue

The woman cradled her youngest child in her arms, smiling softly down at the precious newborn. A nurse approached, grinning at her and the baby.

"What will you call her?"

"Legna, for it is angel backwards, and she's my angel."

A small boy ran up to the woman's hospital bed, a grin spreading across his cute face. "Momma, it's my sister!"

"Yes, it is. Caleb, meet Legna."

"She's pretty Momma."

The woman smiled and kissed her son's head, wrapping her other arm around him. "Can you promise me something, buddy?"

"Yes, Momma."

"Will you watch over her, and protect her if mommy ever has to leave?"

"Yes, Momma. I will."

"Good. Thank you baby."

The woman relaxed and stared lovingly down at her daughter while the boy grabbed one of her tiny hands, playing with her. She laughed, but it dried quickly when the door was flung open. A man stood above her and stared at the child in her arms. The woman gasped and looked around for the nurse, clutching her children to her when she saw that she was knocked out on the floor.

"Give her to me, slut."

"I'm not a slut! And she is mine!"

He laughed humorlessly and moved quickly, faster than her eyes could take notice. Suddenly her empty arms fell to the bed and she glared up at him as he cradled her baby in his arm. The wolf inside her snapped, begging to be let out. She started to shake violently and the man clucked his tongue at her.

"Do not attempt to change, she wolf."

"I have a name."

"Fine. Tell me, Felicity, isn't it bad to shift right after birthing?"

"Give me my daughter, you leech."

The small boy ran against the man's legs, anger taking over his small features. The man simply looked down and scooped the other child up, dangling him from his ankle. He struggled in the man's grip and reached for the baby that slept, unaware, against his chest.

"How old are you boy?"

"Seven." He spread his fingers apart and waved them in the man's face.

"He smells of werewolf." The woman kept her mouth shut, even when he sniffed at the sleeping infant cradled in his arms. "She does too, but only faintly."

The boy kicked the man in the face and dropped to the ground, grabbing for his sister when the man dropped her. Sending a glance towards his mother, he ran out of the room, away from the dangerous man.

"We will find her."

"Vampires like you will never have her. She'll be too smart to let you get her."

The man wrapped his hand around the woman's throat and sneered down at her while slowly strangling the life from her fragile body. When the light faded from her eyes and he heard her heart stop, he threw her body aside, disgusted. This is why werewolves will eventually submit to the vampires, he thought, they are too weak to fight us.

Without a single look back, he walked out of the room, determined to find the boy and his sister. Suddenly the trail ended and he growled his frustration. They will not be able to escape him forever.