Chapter Two

Bright lights shone down on my closed eyes, making me see the red of my eyelids. I groaned and tried to roll away from the brightness, only to cry out in pain as my neck burst into flames of agony that spread to the rest of my body. There was a shuffling next to the bed, then someone laid their hand on my forehead. I pried my eyes open to look up at my brother.

"How are you feeling, Legna?"

"Hurts..."

"What does?"

"Neck, head..." I blinked, then frowned. "Why do I hurt?"

"You don't remember the crash?"

It was as if his words opened a floodgate and the memories poured in. There was the deer, then crashing the first time- my head hitting the window. Then Tyler pushing the car back into the road. The semi-truck. The second crash. Tyler climbing into the car to get me.

"Did Tyler pull me out?"

"No, he couldn't get the door to bend back so he could safely move you. Thankfully, the driver of the semi-truck was a werewolf and he ripped the door away and pulled you out while Tyler called for help."

"We aren't in Cliff Pack territory anymore, right?"

" Correct. Legna, wel-"

"Ah, she's awake." A nurse walked into the room, cutting off Caleb. "Go find the Alpha. He wants to speak with you both."

"Yes ma'am. Where would he be?"

She gave him directions to the Alpha's office, then turned back to me as Caleb walked out. "I know that you must be in pain dear, but if I give you meds, you will be asleep before your brother talks to our Alpha."

"I understand."

"For some reason, you aren't healing as quickly as we usually do."

I frowned, not understanding what she meant. How could I suddenly not heal at werewolf speed? Before I could say anything, the door opened and my brother strolled back in, followed by the cutest boy I'd seen in ages. He had black hair, golden eyes and tanned skin. If I hadn't known that he was the Alpha, it would've been obvious due to the way he commanded a room.

"Hello Legna. I'm sorry we had to meet this way."

"With me stuck in an infirmary?"

"Yes, like that." He laughed, the sound rich and beautiful to my ears. "Anyways, my name is Camdyn White, and I'm Alpha of the River Crest Pack."

I watched him as he stepped further into the room, stopped, sniffed the air, and frowned. His golden eyes slid shut as he sniffed again, walking towards me. My heart raced as Caleb stiffened and grasped my hand almost painfully in his. At the foot of the bed, Camdyn stood, a frown marring his face, and slowly opened his eyes to stare down at me.

"You smell of vampire."

I looked up at Caleb to see him avoiding my eyes. My hand squeezed his and he jerked it away from me. Turning my eyes back to Camdyn, I caught him leaning forward over me and breathing deeply through his nose.

"Go sniff up another tree, buddy!" I shoved him back, my fingers brushing over his arm as he moved away. "I'm not a toy, Mr. White," I sneered his name, glaring at him. "If you have a question, just ask."

He was frozen, staring at me while something primal danced in his eyes. I wondered if I'd angered him enough to bring his wolf surging forward to the surface. Noticing the look in Camdyn's eyes, my brother pulled me out of the bed and safely behind him. the Alpha's eyes narrowed dangerously on Caleb and a growl filled the room.