Chapter Five

A cool power surged through me. I could feel my body becoming paralyzed. At least to my control, and I knew what was happening. The vampire had taken control.

My eyes refocused and I saw my brother and mate standing across the room. Hatred took over my body and my top two fangs fell, but they felt wrong. They were too short and thin. Crap, my vampire fangs. My body slid into a crouch and I panicked, screaming in my head to distract her.

"What the- GAHHH!" The vampire stood and clamped my hands over our ears. "Shut up girl!"

Stop this! I won't let you kill him! I started fighting for control, driving my body to crumple on the floor. Camdyn stepped forward but stopped when his eyes met mine. Then he lurched forward, dropping down beside me as I writhed about on the ground.

"I'm going to kill you, Camdyn. There's no way I will allow a wolf to be her mate. It's bad enough that I have to live with that white wolf."

"Who are you?" Camdyn's face was tight with anger and worry.

"Why, it's me. Your supposed mate. But I'm Lana. Don't worry, I won't hurt Legna. If she dies, I die. Lana is a way better name than Legna. Father would have thought so. What exactly is she an angel of?"

"She's better than you."

"Is she now? That's why she keeps away from her mate, right?" Camdyn looked hurt and sat back, staring at me with confusion. "Oh, you didn't know? Oops, sorry Legna. Cat's out of the bag now."

"She knew I was her mate?"

"Yep, figured it out while talking to Father."

"Why didn't she tell me?"

"Because she's smart. I could've killed you without you ever knowing that she knew. Her reasons were that she's shy around boys. She couldn't gain the courage to tell you, so she wanted you to admit that we're mates. Then she ruined my plan  by telling you, in a round-about way, that she figured it out."

My body seized again and I gained control long enough to look up into his golden eyes and whisper, "I'm so sorry." before Lana overpowered me.

Enough! He's your mate Lana! Look at him!

Yes, I see him. And look, he's trying to hold himself together. Give up Legna, for he will be dead before-

Her voice was cut off as Camdyn brushed my hair off my forehead. My body stopped jerking as both Lana and I felt the spark of recognition in our soul, then the fire that burned through my veins at his touch. Lana took control of my paralyzed mind as we felt the magnetic pulling in our stomach, the pull to bring me to Camdyn.

"You really are her... my... mate. I didn't think... There was no recognition before. not until now... I can't kill you, I can't do that to my mate. Or to her."

She faded back into my subconscious and I closed my eyes, relishing the burn in my blood and the lighter feeling of my soul; the wholeness of it. A happy sigh brushed through my lips and then they curved into a smile. I was pulled into a tight hug and heard Camdyn release a breath that carried out all of the tension in his body.

"Does anyone have ice cream? I could use some ice cream right now."

"Well, you know how to make a guy feel worthless." He let go of me and started to stand, but I threw my arms around his waist and clung to him. There was a soft chuckle, then the click of the door shutting. Looking around, I realized that my brother had left the room.

Camdyn gently pried me off him. The electricity that hummed through my body stopped when he let go of me. He stood next to the window and stared outside while I struggled to my feet. Once standing, I leaned heavily on the wall, closing my eyes.