“Do you want to hear what happened last night?” she asked excitedly.

“You bet I do. Tell me everything!” I said, trying to match her enthusiasm but coming up a little bit short.

               Her eyes gleamed with excitement of telling me the tale. “Well, when they first came in, it was pretty awkward. Like SUPER awkward. There was polite conversation and stuff, but nothing like a proper date should be. She seemed a little bitter. That is until he held her hands, looked straight into her eyes and said something-I’m not sure what. After that, they appeared to be having a really good time. They smiled and laughed and such, and when the left they were holding hands.” She swooned dramatically. “If only a guy would be like that for me.” She said, gazing off into the distance for a moment before laughing to herself.

               I found myself chuckling along. “You know Penny; you would have made a really good actress.”

She smiled at me. “I guess. But they’re just too common for me. I want to be unique.” She said with defiance while I nodded in agreement. Changing the subject, she smirked. “So why was Conner so distracting last night? And don’t try to avoid the subject this time!”

I opened my mouth to reply, but thankfully the customers came in, breaking off our conversation and prevented me from responding. The day wore on, filled with hungry customers as usual and also as usual I was glad to finally get home.

I walked in the house to complete silence. Strange. “Hello? Anybody home?” I called out to no response. After shutting the door and dropping my things, and made my way into the kitchen.

As expected there was a note left for me. It read: ‘went to give Paramore a check-up. Brought kids. Should be back by five. Love, Conner.’

I looked over to the stove clock to see it was already four. Looks like I would have a little time to myself. First, I took a much needed shower before calling up my old pack. “Hello?” answered a woman’s voice, presumably Ann.

 “Hi, this is Tara calling.”

“Oh Tara! It’s so good to hear from you! How are things going over there?”

“Good! Rena got a boyfriend, both girls have been doing well at school, and we’ve also adopted a kitten. How are thing on your end?”

“I’m glad to hear things are going well for you! My belly is still growing, and I think I felt the baby kicking yesterday! Ulric and I have been busy as usual with extending the house and getting it another room but thankfully that project is almost finished. The pack, or what part of it with you three down there, has been very helpful with all of this. Although, we few more locals joined the pack while you were gone. Ash and Mathew. Anyway, some of them have seemed more enthusiastic about baby than we have!” she laughed. “So are you planning to get any more kids anytime soon or are your hands full with Mirabelle and Rena?”

“Well I haven’t really been planning that far ahead yet. For now, there’s going to be no more. Conner and I aren’t quite that far in our relationship yet. Mirabelle and Rena are plenty for us right now. although, now that I think about, we do have the room for one since Zevi moved out.”

“What? When did he move out?”

“About a week or so ago. He lived with Leah now.”

“They certainly make an interesting couple.” Commented Ann, with some humor in her voice.

I laughed. “They sure do.” Then there was a knock at the door. “I’m sorry, but I have to go. Conner and the kids are home and you can bet they’ll have worked up an appetite by now.”

She chuckled. “I’m sure they did. Bye.”

“Bye.” I said, hanging up the phone and heading towards the door.

If only I knew what was behind that door and all the troubles it would bring...

The first thing I should have noticed was the smell. It was not werewolf or human. The second thing was how my heart felt. I could tell when Conner was near and when he was away and he was not near. There’s ten billion other things that should have told me something was wrong but either I didn’t notice them or they didn’t go off, maybe due to the fact that the person on the other side of the door was remembered as friend. Whatever the reason, I should’ve at least realized that Conner and the kids were not home yet.

When I opened the door, I saw the back of a girl wearing a black sweatshirt. The freezing wind blew into the house, bringing the smell that the warning lights in my head should’ve gone off to. But they didn’t

“Um, can I help you with something?” I asked politely.

She slowly turned around with her face being hidden by her dark red hair. Suddenly she lunged at me, pushing me down in the process. I scrambled away her, gasping as I did. Her hoodie down, I saw her face, the face I had seen so many times before.

It was Sara.

*************************

O.o EPIC!!! From this point on, we are heading into the danger zone! Whoo!

VOTE

COMMENT