Setting the Date

I woke to a cold and empty bed beside me when I reached for him the next morning. Flying from the bed I stopped only long enough to pull on some sleeping pants before racing down the stairs. I paused there at the end long enough to hear his deep chuckle and I felt a profound sense of relief flood through me. For a moment when I had woken up I had been terrified that it had all been one long dream. I wasn’t sure how I would have reacted at that point. I was far more than grateful for that to not have been the case.

I frowned then realizing that he had been laughing. It wasn’t that I had never heard him laugh I had just never heard it outside of his apartment. Striding into the kitchen that had quickly become our gathering place I found my mother and father sitting at the table across from him as mother animatedly told him a story of my childhood. Groaning I threw myself into the chair beside him.

“Come on mom he has been here a day, don’t be telling him all of these stories!” I protested and they all chuckled at me now as my mother shrugged.

“It will all come out eventually baby. Are you hungry?”

“No I’m ok. Thanks mom.” I answered before turning to Aidan. “Good morning baby.” I murmured as I dragged him into a brief kiss that had his face turning a bright red as he hid from my parent gaze. “Are you hungry?”

“No.” he said before motioning to my mother. “She already made me breakfast.”

Surprise coursed through me as I turned to look at my parent, both of whom were watching us with knowing smiles and odd looks in their eyes. “Thanks mom.”

“Not a problem baby. Although from what I hear it should be him cooking me breakfast from the way he cooks.” She said teasingly and Aidan looked up to her.

“I’d be more than happy to cook for you if you’d like me to.”

“Oh no, thank you baby. We already ate this morning.” She declined sweetly as she shook her head and I felt my world fall into place around me at her words. If my mother accepted him into this family then everyone else would have no choice but to fall in line as well. No one went against my mother, not only for fear of my father but fear of my mother herself. She was flat out vicious when she wanted to be and she didn’t hesitate to protect those she loved.

“Lunch then maybe?”

“I was only kidding Aidan you don’t have to cook for us. None of us expect that.”

“I would love to.” He said with a shrug. “It’s what I do and I would like to repay your for letting me stay in your home.”

My mother regarded him for a long moment before turning to my father and I knew they were having their own wordless conversation as she seemed to get his permission for something. After my father brief barely noticeable nod she turned her attention back to Aidan. “You are always welcome in this home Aidan. As long as you refrain from ever hurting Zariah again, you are welcome.”

Aidan tensed as color flushed his cheeks once more and he tore his eyes back to the wooden table sitting in front of us. I knew the warning hurt him as he relieved the effects of his choices but I also knew that my mom needed to say it. Reaching out I wrapped my arm around him and squeezed his shoulder comfortingly. “Yes ma’am.” He murmured.

“Call me mom please. After all I did help raise you for years and after tomorrow you will be family.”

“Tomorrow?” Aidan and I questioned at the same time as we both jerked our attention back to her.

“Vic called while you were still sleeping. He has set the meeting for tomorrow evening close to sunset.” My father replied for her.

“Good.” I said nodding but Aidan only tensed even more beside me as he remained silent. I didn’t say anything to him because I knew that it would be pointless seeing as we already had this discussion he was just going to have to trust me like he said.