Interruptions

The sound of my phone ringing quickly drew me out of the deep darkness as I jerked myself out of bed to reach to my pants pocket for the obnoxious little device.

“Hello?” I barked into it without even looking to the number flashing on the screen, and Aidan groaned beside me curling tighter into my side nuzzling my chest.

“Jeez. Hi to you to little brother.”

“What’s up Sab?” I asked biting back the hard tone to my voice. I hated that he had disturbed Aidan when he needed all the rest he could get especially with having classes later the next day but it wasn’t his fault considering he didn’t know where I was or even what I was doing.

“Where are you?”

“I’m at a friend’s. What did you need?”

My brother let out a chuckle. “Ah so I apparently interrupted something. I didn’t know that you had one of those friends Zariah.”

“Sabian.” I growled as Aidan rolled onto his back scrubbing his hands over his face telling me that he was getting ready to get out of bed. Aidan had no problems with my brother, he had never held any grudges even though it had been because of Sabian and I that had gotten Trev killed, he had also understood the need for it. It was only Sabian that had a problem with Aidan, so even as big of part of Sabian was in my life, he was a subject I avoided with Aidan and Aidan was one I avoided with Sabian. My parents and my sister knew that I was friends with Aidan even after what had happened and though none of them approved of it, none of them had ever said anything about it. It would be Sabian that would completely lose it if he ever found out I was spending time with the man who in his mind had tried to kidnap me. “What did you need?”

“Yupp. I definitely interrupted.” He said with another deep chuckle. “Anyways, I have a favor.”

“What’s that?”

“I need you to watch Rydon tonight.”

I groaned and scrubbed my own face. I loved my nephew more than anything in this world, but Sundays were the only nights Aidan and I got together and I like to take that opportunity when I had it. “I thought mom was going to watch him?”

“She was, but Arik and Mari are sick and the last thing we need is Rydon catching it to.”

“What about Annalee? Where is she?” I pleaded trying to get out of having to drive all the way over to their condo and staying there for the rest of the night.

“She is with Vane. He came home early to surprise her. Come on Zariah you know I never ask this of you very often. I have no problems staying home with him, but it is our anniversary and Emileah has been hinting for months that she wants to actually go out this year and do something. So if you don’t want to do it for me then at least do it for her.” He pleaded and with that one simple statement he immediately had me. Even though Emileah was older than I was I had always worked with Sabian to take care of her and Annalee both, and he knew just like everyone else that those two girls were one of my main weaknesses. Aidan seemed to know this to because he immediately let out a deep sigh as he rolled from the bed and made his way out of the bedroom.

“All right. All right. What time do you need me?”

“Thank you Zariah. I want to leave around eight, does that work for you?”

“It’s going to have to be isn’t it?” I asked with a smirk. He couldn’t pretend to be catering to what I want now that he already had what he wanted.

“Good. I’ll see you then. I will let you get back to this friend of yours.” He said with humor laced thick in his voice just as he hung up the phone. Laying my phone on Aidan’s bedside table I rolled out of his bed and quickly made my way out into the living room but found that he wasn’t there either. Wondering into the kitchen I found him standing in front of the oven beginning to sauté something there in nothing but his boxers. Chuckling I approached him from behind to lay my chin on his shoulder and my hands on hips so I could peek into the pan where I found onions mushrooms and peppers sizzling there.