The Return

Even after admitting to myself time and time again that this was wrong and that there was going to be a special spot with my name on it in hell for this, I still continued to see Lex. More than see her, at this point, over the last few weeks she had spent more time in my room than she had her own. No, we weren’t technically together and I still hadn’t brought myself to sleep with her, but I did allow her to hand all over me like those things were true. My parents like her but weren’t taking kindly to a human who wasn’t my mate constantly under our roof. I tried to be out as much as possible with work and the classes that I had picked up, and with Lex. All of this left very little time with pack and family. Something I had grown fond of. It gave my life a sense of normality and it kept all of those haunting memories at bay. Which wasn’t fair to my family I knew, because I knew they all loved and missed me, and I knew that none of them really understood what was causing me to act the way I had been but I just couldn’t ever bring myself to sit down and explain it. Sabian was the only one who wasn’t bothered by my relationship with Lex, even Em didn’t want her around anymore and they had been the ones to be friends to begin with.

          Even the peace and normalcy Lex had brought seemed to be wearing thin, however, because my wolf was giving me no rest. He was constantly on edge and always anxious, like something was coming, or like something was going to happen. The only thing was, I had no idea just what it would be? Then again why should I? I had missed the last three pack meetings so I had no idea what was going in our world anymore.

          The moment that I pulled into my driveway ready to grab my book bag and head to class was the moment it all came crashing down around me. The feeling of pure fear slammed into me at the same point my wolf howled with the knowledge that someone had just entered our territory. Frowning to myself I scanned around me to see if anyone was going to check it out but the street was deserted. Another wave of fear, exhaustion, and desperation swamped me. I felt my heart drop and my gut tighten into knots. There was only on wolf whose emotions that could engulf me like this and he had to be the one who was crossing back. Which mean the fear could only be from one thing.

Cursing I flew from the car and to the closest tree line in record time. Scenting everything around me the moment I shifted to four paws and quickly caught the scent of my brother, father and Vic heading toward the border on the east. Following their trail I pushed myself as hard as I could and I knew the moment that  that I drew close enough to them because I could hear my brothers deep snarls and Aiden’s whimpers. The sound of him whimpering sent anger like nothing I had ever felt before burning like molten lava through my veins. Snarling from deep within my own chest I lunged between my father and Vic to land between Aidan who was cowering in front of a tree and Sabian who was hovering over him menacingly. Crouching in front of Aidan defensively I snarled baring my teeth as the three of them took a step back in shock.

Zariah? Sabian asked.

Back off.

Sabian growled at that and returned to an offensive stance. You can’t keep saving him Zariah.

You can’t keep bullying him either!

He can’t just disappear this long and come back expecting to be allowed to come back without an explanation. Vic said this time.

This is his pack!

Was his pack! He chose to leave! Sab snapped.

No people like you chased him away and forced his hand!

People like him? Vic questioned now with less anger than before.

Yes! People who feel like that everything Trev and Liam did lies solely on Aidan’s shoulders! They are dead but he pays for their sins! I snarled.

Is that true Aidan? Vic asked my mate gently but Aidan didn’t reply, he just curled tightly into my side hiding from the others.

What the fuck is this Zariah?! He tried to kill you and yet here you stand choosing him over your family!

He never tried to kill me! He defended himself and helped protect both you and me! If anyone would just give him a fucking chance they would see he had no choice! He couldn’t stand against Liam and his father and when it came down to it he sacrificed the only family he had to protect this pack! He stood there and watched you kill his father Sabian and he didn’t do a damn thing to stop you!

Listen to yourself Zariah! He has you wrapped around his little finger you would fight even me! Sabian snapped as he took another step toward Aidan. Snapping my jaws I glared at my brother.

Touch him and I’ll kill you myself!

Zariah please, calm down. Aidan spoke softly as he nuzzled my side in what was meant to be a soothing way but it did nothing to curve my anger at the brother that stood before me.

How dare you threaten me over that little bastard! For the second time in my life I found myself going for my brother’s throat without a moment’s hesitation. My attack seemed to surprise him because though he moved to dodge me it wasn’t quick enough. I caught his shoulder with my teeth and tore a yelp from him as Vic and my father quickly tried to intervene, but it was Aidan who pulled me back.

Zariah please don’t! He cried drawing my complete attention back to him. For the first time I actually paused to study him. He was way too thin, to the point to where I could actually see the outline of many of his bones. The exhaustion and desperation were at their peak as he curled against the tree once more looking to me pleadingly.

Come on. I said gently as I approached him to nuzzle his neck gently. I will take you back to my room and you can sleep and eat.

After Aidan had been gone a few weeks Vic had his apartment released and had put everything into storage and savings accounts so that whenever Aidan settled enough to ask it would always be available to him. I had thought it had been kind of him considering most Alphas with access to that kind of account would have robbed him for everything the moment he left.

Where are you going Zariah?!  My father demanded as Aidan and I began walking.

To care for my mate! I snarled without looking back to see their reactions.