The First Occurrence

“It’s about time.” Sabian said with a wide smile as he swung open the door. Rising a brow I stared at him in confusion, I was twenty minutes early and he was damn lucky for that. It had been so hard to walk away from Aidan’s very persuasive ways because if it were up to him I would still be locked up in his bedroom. Leaning in Sabian took a big whiff of my scent before frowning at me. “You stopped to shower?”

“Yeah. I needed one.” I said with a frown as I pushed past him now to stride into his living room with him hot on my trail.

“Mhm…. Who is it?”

“Who is who?”

“Who were you with?” he asked as he crossed his arms and leaned back against the wall across from me and I sighed as I shook my head.

“I am not going into this with you Sab.”

“Why? We talk about everything Zariah why not this?”

“Because.” I growled. He was right. My siblings were my closest friend and I hated having to keep everything from them but until Aidan was ready for the world to know then my hands were tied because I would never betray Aidan that way. It wasn’t my place to tell everyone that Aidan was gay or that he had a mate, he would make that decision on his own, if and when he was ready, no matter how much I hated it.

“Is it your mate? Did you find her?” he asked and I remained silent just staring over at him, wondering just how I was going to get out of this one. His eyes widened as he gaped at me in disbelief obviously filling in my uncomfortable silence. “Why wouldn’t you say anything? That is great news!”

“Sabian I respected the relationship between you and Emi for two years. Please do the same from me. Once everything works out then I will tell you everything I promise.” I pleaded.

“Works out? What the hell is going on Zariah that you don’t want anyone to know about this?!” he demanded as he straightened now automatically snapping into overprotective brother mode, which I guess I should have seen coming. I opened my mouth to correct myself and hopefully ease from of my brother’s apparent worry as he stared at me demandingly but I was cut off by a familiar soothing voice.

“Sabian. Leave your brother alone he said he would tell you when he is ready.” Emileah scolded her mate as she appeared at the end of the steps with her son nestled in her arms. Rydon’s familiar cool steel colored eyes peered at me over her shoulder before widening as he let out an excited cry and began to squirm for his mother to put him down.

“Uncle Riah!” he cried as he flung himself at me the moment his little feet touched the floor. Smiling at the little boy I quickly caught him and pulled him into a tight hug.

“Hey little man, how are you doing?”

“Good. Momma says you staying with me tonight?” he asked without lifting his head from where he had laid it against my shoulder and I nodded as I pressed my lips to the top of his head.

“Your momma is right.”

“Swee.” He said and I had to chuckle and shake my head as I looked back to Sabian and Emileah who were watching us with small smiles as Sabian pulled Emi close to his body. I had to smile at the sight of the two of them clinging to one another lovingly still after all of this time and after such a rocky start. What I wouldn’t give to be able to be the same way with my mate.

“Thank you by the way Zariah. You have no idea how much this means to me. I’m sorry I ruined your night.” Emi said and I shook my head.

“Nonsense Emileah you know you can ask me for anything. I’m always here to help and I love spending time with little man here.” She raised a brow skeptically and I knew that Sabian had probably told her everything that had been said over the phone earlier this afternoon. “Ok, almost always. It’s really okay though. I just had to reschedule some things.” I said shrugging it off hoping that she would buy that. I didn’t want her to feel bad for ruining something she knew nothing about. For all they knew they were ruining a one night stand and I would like to keep that image up.