Coming Home

The entire run home was one large blur, none of the scenes or scents around me stuck because I was too far lost in my own mind to pay them any attention. I could have been stalked and hunted at any point and I would have never known, some part of me wonders if I would have even cared. What more was there that fate could do to me?  My family had turned their backs on me for my choice of friends, and then that ‘friend’ had turned around and abandoned me for reasons only he would ever understand. What was there left to take?

I was surprised, however, the moment that I crossed the border onto my home lands I was tackled to the ground and pinned there. No violently, or in an aggressive manner but by the weight of my mother burrowing her wolf form against mine as she whined and nuzzled me affectionately.

Thank god you are all right. She cried as she let out another low whine that would have broken my heart if it hadn’t already been ripped from my chest.

I know. I – I began but she cut me off shaking her head.

Don’t you dare say you are sorry! That is all I ever hear from the three of you and I have had enough of it! You have put yourselves in danger enough to give me gray hairs I swear!

You have no such thing momma. I denied shaking my head as I nuzzled her lovingly in return.

Well at this rate I am damn well getting there! She protested as she pushed herself to her feet and allowed me to do the same. Glancing around I was surprised to find that she was here completely alone here on the border.

Where are the others mom?

What others?

I gaped at her like she had lost her mind. What are you thinking coming out here alone mom? Just because it is on our land doesn’t mean it is safe, especially not here at the borders!

She snorted her disagreement and shook her head. I don’t need protecting. I am perfectly capable of protecting myself; I don’t need a baby sitter. Now come on. Let’s go home. The others are waiting to see you.

They know I’m home? I asked quietly. Truth be told I was nervous to go back and see my family. It had been over a month since I had seen anyone but my father and that had ended well either because it had resulted in me chasing Aidan.

Of course they do. We can all feel it when someone crosses onto our territory if we know what we are looking for. She said with a shrug as she turned away from me and began trotting in the direction of our home without a second glance, perfectly confident that I would follow her.

With a sigh I trudged behind her, feeling some sort of comfort at being back on my own grounds, back in my own home. That heavy ache was still there, that throbbing pain that was an ever constant reminder that my mate hate not rejected me, but fled from me entirely. It was enough to break even the strongest of males. I knew that there was nothing I could do about it and that at this point I just had to try to pick up the pieces and get my life back to some sort of normal. What else was there for me to do? I couldn’t pine over a male that obviously wanted nothing more to do with me. In fact I refused to pine over him anymore. I had done more than enough with him bear to witness and anymore would just degrade me more than it already had.

Trailed off in my own thoughts I had even realized we had gotten close to the house, or even entered the yard until I found myself tackled to the ground once more, this time by a slightly bigger build and solid white fur.

Zariah I’ve missed you so much! Don’t you ever do that again?! Do you have any idea how terrified I have been for you?! Annalee demanded

I didn’t have a choice Lee. I explained as I nuzzled her neck gently.

 You always have a choice Zariah. Aidan made his choice so he has to live with it. You can’t be responsible for everyone.

I didn’t say anything to that. Sure I felt responsible for the members of my pack, just as we all did, but what had happened went deeper than that. Something that they would understand if I would simply explain it to them but at this point I couldn’t bring myself to do that either. Instead I stopped and took the time to study my surroundings and was surprised to see my entire family surrounding me. My father and mother stood on the porch, my mother wrapped in my father’s arms as they both smiled down at me. Sabian was standing only a couple of feet behind me while Emileah and Vane stood off to the side of the porch. The sound of squealing laughter caught my attention as I whirled to find Arik, Mari, and Rydon racing toward me from around the back.

“Riah!” they squealed as little arms wrapped around my neck and faces were buried in my fur. I felt the stinging prickle of tears in my eyes as I sank into the three little embraces of those who loved me without caring about what had happened over the last few weeks.

“Ewww Riah!” Mari squeaked before going into a giggling fit. “You dirty.”

I barked a laugh at that and nodded my head in agreement before leaning forward to lick her cheek sending into her another fit of giggles as she wiped at her cheek drastically.

“Uncle Riah where you been?” Rydon asked from where he was still curled into my side but rather than answer I ran my tongue along the side of his face and nipped gently at his legs. As they all let out screams and laughter the little ones took off in the directions of their parents as I pretended to lunge and chase after them.

We will do all of this catching up later, I promise but for now I would like nothing more than a hot shower and bed. I said to the adults quietly as I began to make my way around the house and through the back that had been left open.

“Zariah.” I heard a deep voice rumble from far away as I felt hands shake me gently. ”Zariah come on, it’s time to get up.”

Groaning I rolled to my back and scrubbed my face over my hands before peering up at the person calling me through blurry eyes. I was surprised to find my brother’s tall heavy form leaning over me as I glanced around the room for some kind of sign as to just what time it was. As soon as I had hit the mattress after me shower it had been lights out for me. Though it had been nowhere near peaceful for me with constants reruns of mine and Aidan’s time together that plagued my dreams that made my heart clinch even tighter than it already was. The shower and the mattress had been heavenly though. It felt like I hadn’t had either one in years with as worn out and sore as my body was from being in wolf form and on the ground so much.

“You up man?”

“Yeah.” I said nodding as I pushed myself into a sitting position. “Yeah, I’m up.”

“Good. Mom has prepared some huge dinner for you. So come on down when you’re ready.”

“All right.”

We sat in a tense silence for a long stretch of time before he let out a long string of breath he had seemed to be holding. “I’m sorry Zariah.” He murmured quietly and I gaped up at him in disbelief.

“What?”

“I’m sorry. You’re right. I should have no control over who you’re friends with and I sure as hell should never let that get in the way of our relationship.” He explained quietly as he looked at me with pleading eyes, hoping I would understand where he was coming from, and to some point I did. I knew that they would always be protective of me with everything that has happened and I couldn’t say I blamed them since I was just as protective of them, but they also had to trust me to know what I’m doing. Otherwise I would never get anywhere because they would always be in my way. “I’m so glad that you came back all right. I don’t know what made you run after him but you scared the hell out of us all when you did that.” He said as he reached forward to jerk me into a tight hug. For the second time that day I felt heavy tears prickle my eyes as I allowed myself to absorb the warmth and comfort my brother was offering.

“It’s okay Sab. There is nothing to be sorry for, it’s all worked out the way it was going to anyways.” I said as I bit back the tears and the heavy lump in my throat.

“All right. If you say. Now come on, let’s go eat before mom comes and tracks us down.” He said dragging me toward the stairs and the rest of my waiting family.