C H A P T E R 1 4_

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. "No, I saw something. But... it's hard to explain."

"Look, Esther, we're in the middle of a complicated analysis right now so can this wait?" Rogers asks me with stress in his voice, clearly not believing me. He wouldn't, would he? He thought I was dreaming this morning after all.

"Bruce, can you help me get a closer look at the outer shell?" Tony is asking Banner as he scans the huge ship of Nebula's.

People around the room gradually lose interest as they focus on their tasks

I clench my jaw. No one in here believes me. Typical. But that won't stop me from trying. "Listen to me! This cannot wait! There is going to be an attack tonight! Innocent people are going to die if you don't lock this base down."

"What do you think we're doing now, playing Galaga?" Tony returns the anger. "We're trying to figure out how to win this fight or at least protect each other against whatever it is up there."

I glare at him

I glare at him. "You won't be doing much protecting if you don't lock the base down!"

People are standing now. "Esther, what is going on?" Natasha demands from me.

I take a deep breath, ready to tell them all that I need to tell them. I probably shouldn't be doing this, but we are talking about the safety of the only people who can stop this war. I will do anything necessary to keep everyone alive. "There is going to be an attack on the base sometime after midnight. People will be injured and somebody will die. I would know because.... because it's already happened for me."

No one says anything but their eyes widen with disbelief. Banner finally raises his brows and repeats, "...'Already happened'?" in almost a non-question, complete unbelieving way.

I almost let out a groan of annoyance. "It means that I was there when the base was attacked. I was there when someone died. I know what is going to happen tonight because it's already happened for me."

"Esther... That was a dream," Steve says to me.

I roll my eyes, this time the groan escape my throat. "Steve, for the last time, it wasn't a dream!"

"So what are you saying then, that you time travelled?" Clint asks with utter disbelief like he expects me to deny it.

I slightly squint my eyes, thinking about the wording I want to use, but then I realize that is exactly what happened. "Pretty much, yeah. I know that time travel is practically impossible, but it just...happened."

He chuckles with sarcasm and looks at Cap. "We don't have time for this."

"Esther, you're shaken. You should go lie down and regain your strength," Steve says with a bit of sympathy but sternly enough not to want me to yell at him.

It takes everything in me to not slap them silly, but I remain composed somehow. "You think that I'm making this up? I wouldn't make any of this up. Especially not when innocent lives are on the line!"