Chapter 17: Venture to Fairiosa

Giritin traveled to Fairiosa on horseback with the dragon resting heavily in his arms. The thought of seeing Prince Jay again was enough to set his nerves on edge, and he hoped he was there waiting for him.

Before he left Hedrin, the Snake King made a promise to meet with him again in the heart of Drendecile three days from their last meeting, and Giritin granted his horse wings to save months of time in traveling.

When the sun finally set, and the villagers lay to rest, he landed within the gates of Fairiosa where the castle was in a panic.

As soon as he stepped foot on the ground, a white wolf ran up to him and scratched his legs for attention, and he looked down at the panicked creature.

Once the wolf knew he had gained Giritin's attention, it led him into the castle where he saw a beautiful woman bearing a queens crown and knights armor looking carefully around her with a worried look in her eyes.

Once her eyes settled on Giritin, her eyes gleamed hopefully as she dashed his way.

"You are the Dragon King?!" She asked urgently, "The hero of legend?"

"I don't know anything about that," He replied cradling the dragon's head, "I've arrived to meet your son. He has proposed to marry me."

The queen went pale in the face, and Giritin could tell something was troubling her.

"Have I said something wrong?"

"You are supposed to be dead," She replied quietly, "My son..... He has become someone else. Something else."

"What are you talking about?" Giritin asked grabbing her shoulders, "What happened?"

"When my son arrived home he was livid," She explained, "He said that you had been hung, and he was going to get his revenge."

"So you talked him out of it, right?" Giritin asked hopefully.

"I didn't have the chance," She replied, "He went down to the dungeons, and when he came back out, he wasn't my son anymore."

"Where's the dungeons?" Giritin asked.

"Nobody ventures to the dungeons, it's not safe to-"

"Where are they?!" He interrupted impatiently, "I don't have the time to wait around."

"I will show you," She replied timidly, "Only the royal family has access."

Giritin followed the small woman to the large black doors leading to the dungeons that were covered in magic encryptions to keep the prisoners inside.

"You have no idea what you've done," Giritin growled as his fingers lightly touched the door.

The power encoded within was enough to jolt the structure of his body, jolting the dragon in his arms to consciousness.

"You shouldn't go in there," The dragon warned entering his thoughts, "Something evil is harbored within, and it won't be happy when we trespass into its lair."

"I will not be faltered by anyone," Giritin replied stubbornly, "We must find out what happened to my husband."

The Queen of Fairiosa looked hesitant to follow, but her concern for her son took over and she pushed through the heavy doors with Giritin.

"You shouldn't come," Giritin warned, "I may not be able to protect you."

"Jay is my son," She replied sternly, "I will do everything in my power to protect him."

"As you wish," Giritin sighed, "Keep close to me, and do not provoke him."

"Provoke who?" She asked uneasily, before her skin was being seared with a scalding mark.

Giritin rested his hand over her arm, blocking the brand that was overtaking her arm, and relief flooded through her body as it slowly disappeared.

"It seems he's familiar with who you are," Giritin commented taking her hand, "Do not let go of me, and never give in to his lies."

The queen nodded in obedience, and they both descended into the cellar cautiously.

The biggest obstacle of Giritin's life was soon to come.