Chapter 6: I choose Giritin

When Prince Jay's horse landed in front of the castle, it's wings evaporated into the air and the magic returned into Giritin's body.

The peasants of Drendecile looked on at the two men curiously, but when Jay dismounted his horse and they could fully witness his armor, they knew exactly who he was.

"I'm requesting audience with your King," Jay announced approaching the guards, "Tell him Prince Jay of Fairiosa has come to see him."

Their faces lit up in shock when they noticed the various symbols scrawled on the metal covering him, and they led him inside to their king, no questions asked.

Giritin had only been inside the kingdom once, but it lasted a span of a few minutes, then he left with the princess as his hostage and never returned again.

He had never had the chance to enjoy the beautiful craftsmanship of the castle, and now that he was, something was bothering him.

"It is so simple," Giritin thought aloud, "There is nothing worthwhile here. Not a single painter has the slightest touch of creativity, doesn't that strike you as odd?"

"You are not wrong," Jay replied scanning the walls, "The absence of color is uncommon, but I've heard Drendecile was black and white so I didn't find it too concerning."

"No," Giritin argued touching a small painting on the wall.

Inside its frame was a delicately crafted cradle holding a sleeping child, and it's green eyes were the only thing colored in the picture.

"They changed it. Everything is all wrong."

"What are you talking about?" Jay asked joining him, "Have you seen this painting before?"

Giritin opened his mouth to speak before the large doors leading to the King's court were opened, and the guards awaited Prince Jay's presence.

"That's our queue my love," Jay began patting Giritin's head, "Remember, don't do anything rash."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Giritin agreed, pulling his hood farther down over his face, "I'll just blend into the background."

Prince Jay frowned and took Giritin's cold hands for support. He didn't want him to ever feel like he wasn't needed.

Prince Jay was recognized by various members of the court with respect upon entrance, and the King of Drendecile smiled darkly at him like a desired possession.

"Prince Jay of Fairiosa," The King began, tightly gripping the arms of his throne, "It's about time."

"I assume the princess told you what happened?" Prince Jay asked clutching his sword, "I am no longer eligible to be your next king."

"Nonsense," The King chuckled, causing his servants to wince as the castle shook from his power, "As far as I'm concerned, you are the prime candidate for this position, and I have no intentions of preventing this union with Fairiosa."

"My heart does not belong to your daughter," Prince Jay admitted, "I will not marry a woman I do not love."

"Then you will grow to love her," The King hissed with authority, "She is not a being which cannot be altered, and I have already settled this deal with your father."

"My father will have no problem honoring my request. I am not going to marry your daughter."

"Would you care to share with me your reasons?" The King asked critically, "You have nothing to lose with this Union, in fact I don't understand what the obstacle is in your mind."

"Yes my dear Prince," Princess Clover interrupted, "I have been awaiting your return."