four

Ding.

Cassie groaned and rolled over in her bed.

Ding ding.

Her hand clumsily fumbled along her bedside table, trying to find her phone.

DING.

She squinted at the screen with bleary eyes. 02:11. She groaned again and unlocked her phone.

Facebook messenger: 4 notifications.

Instantly she felt more awake, knowing it was Luke. He had taken to messaging her via the Internet whilst in Australia as it was much cheaper than texting.

Luke Dunphy:
Today has been traumatic.
Hello?
I'm your best friend
Why aren't you waiting around for me to message you?

Cassie smiled, ignoring the ache in her chest and began to type out a response. She was missing Luke a lot.

Cassandra:
Time difference

Luke Dunphy:
Oh
I forgot
What time is it there?

Cassandra:
02:15

Luke Dunphy:
It's quarter past 4 here
In the afternoon haha

Cassandra:
That's really good for you
Your traumatic day better be worth the early wake up call

Luke Dunphy:
It was awful!!

And with that he launched into storyteller mode, telling Cassie all about how he had ended up in the ocean without his swimming trunks; to top it all off an attractive topless woman had tried to help him find them, and in the process had probably seen his exposed 'crown jewels'.

Cassie gasped and giggled throughout his story, practically feeling Luke's humiliation. After he was done discussing his 'trauma', they chatted about more general things, like how everyone else was finding the holiday and what Cassie was doing back home.

She looked at the time on her phone: 04:23. They'd been speaking for over two hours and although she knew she wasn't doing anything special tomorrow (perks of summer break), she didn't want to be moody.

Cassandra:
I think I should sleep again now

Luke Dunphy:
I think we're going down for dinner soon so I should probably go too

Cassie's fingers hovered over her screen for a few seconds: she really wanted to tell him she was missing him, but she knew that he wasn't good with emotional stuff and would probably blow it off.

Luke Dunphy:
Only 3 days til we're home
:)

A small smile spread across Cassie's face. She didn't have to tell him, he knew.

Cassandra:
I look forward to it
Night Luke

Luke Dunphy:
Zzz

Cassie put her phone down and turned back over in her bed feeling more content, somehow, than she had before now that she had touched base with her best friend again. They had been talking as much as possible since Luke arrived in Australia but that had actually turned out to be very little due to Luke being busy and the time difference.

The familiar sound of a dog barking in the street and the mental image of a topless Australian lady trying to help naked Luke find his swimming trunks soon lulled Cassandra back to sleep.